Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Wired ethernet not getting detected

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Wired ethernet not getting detected

krishnik: that's strange. It looks like it could be an issue with the source code. It might help to choose an older version of the code to download from http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/. You have the snapshot from October 22, which may have happened to have errors. The code gets updated every day and some days introduce bugs that prevent it from compiling. It looks like the snapshots from early September worked for others, so I would give those a try.

If that doesn't help, let me know

Beans

Hi guy,

I just bought a new netbook (Acer Aspire one 521) and Installed Ubuntu 10.04 netbook edition. The thing is that I don't have acces to internet since my wired network isn't working and my wireless isn't either. I tried a bunch of things as I have been trying to fix this problem for a few days now. I think the recommendations on post 6 would work, but when I try to install build-essential, it asks me to insert the ubuntu netbook install disk into /cdrom/ in order to install. Since I don't actually have a cdrom on my netbook, I was wondering how I could install build-essential in order to get acces to my ethernet driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro

Lucasbananas: I think you can also use a USB installation stick (which I presume you used to install Ubuntu on your netbook) as a repository, but I'm not sure how. You might be able to find instructions via Google.

What you definitely can do, however, is download what you need from http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/build-essential At the bottom of the page there are links to the actual downloads; you need to select the appropriate one depending on whether you have installed 32-bit Ubuntu (i386) or 64-bit (amd64). It will then send you to a list of mirrors; click the link for a mirror close to you and you'll be able to download the file you need.

You also need to do the same for each of the packages listed as dependencies of build-essential, i.e. dpkg-dev, g++, etc.

Once you have all of these files, which should add up to about a half-dozen .deb packages, transfer them to your Ubuntu computer and save them on your desktop there. Then open a terminal and run the commands:
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    sudo dpkg -i *deb
    This will install all of the packages. After that, you should be able to compile the driver using the instructions in post #6.

Alternatively, you could also just upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10, which should support your hardware out-of-the-box.

Beans

Thanks alot for the link and the info, I didn't know that it could be done that way!

Beans
    Distro

Yes, it can get tedious having to download all those individual packages and then transport them to your Ubuntu computer, but it can be done

Beans

I have run the steps from the first post and have now gotten the OS to detect my Ethernet card, but I cannot figure out the scripts to make and install the driver. I will post information as necessary for the help.

Thanks!

Beans

Well, I am officially a tard! I had the wrong compat file. My wired network works now and will attempt to get the wireless working as well once I download all the updates. THANKS for the help!!!!

Beans
    Distro

Clodzilla: good to hear. Let me know if you have any more trouble.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When the kernel gets updated will these changes hold or will I have to reinstall the patch?
    Ktechman

Beans
    Distro

When the kernel gets updated will these changes hold or will I have to reinstall the patch?
    You would have to reinstall the driver from source. It's good to keep a clean copy of the source code on hand for this purpose.

Also note that if you upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10, your wired ethernet should work out-of-the-box (assuming you have the same hardware and suffer from the same issue as the others in this thread).

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast