Thread: alias for updating all packages

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

alias for updating all packages

I created the following alias by hand and it gave me an error:

alias updater='sudo apt-get update | apt-get upgrade | apt-get autoclean | apt-get autoremove'

Error:
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the download directory
    [sudo] password:

Entering my password does nothing.

How can I make this work?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: alias for updating all packages

This runs sudo apt-get update feeds its output into apt-get upgrade (without sudo).

Use
    Code:
     sudo sh -c 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get autoclean; apt-get  autoremove'
    ClassicMenu Indicator - classic GNOME menu for Unity
    Unsettings - configuration program for the Unity
    Privacy Indicator - easily switch privacy settings in Unity
    Arronax - create and modify app starters

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by diesch View Post
    This runs sudo apt-get update feeds its output into apt-get upgrade (without sudo).

Use
    Code:
     sudo sh -c 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get autoclean; apt-get  autoremove'
    I would avoid placing the sudo in the alias definition. Following Python's philosophy, explicit is better than implicit... specially with regards to sudo and other similar root-privileges granting programs. That way you'll always know when you're root and when not; no, you may sometimes forget that works using sudo.

It's just about being aware what one does with one's own computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

For me an alias is just a shortcut to avoid typing the same things over and over again. As sudo asks for the password in any case I don't see a problem here.
    ClassicMenu Indicator - classic GNOME menu for Unity
    Unsettings - configuration program for the Unity
    Privacy Indicator - easily switch privacy settings in Unity
    Arronax - create and modify app starters

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by diesch View Post
    As sudo asks for the password in any case I don't see a problem here.
    No, it doesn't if the timeout is set and you didn't do sudo -k. But well, it's not going to be a super security risk either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by cajunlibra View Post
    I created the following alias by hand and it gave me an error:

alias updater='sudo apt-get update | apt-get upgrade | apt-get autoclean | apt-get autoremove'

Error:
    E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the download directory
    [sudo] password:

Entering my password does nothing.

How can I make this work?
    Thanks
    The reason it did not work initially is that you used the "|" pipe - which runs each command as a seperate process and streams the output of one process into the input of the next - and since all those apt-get's run at the same time under your command, each one tries to lock the file - and only the first one that starts up is able to lock it - and the rest generate an error. To get this working you should use the ";" (semicolon) as diesch suggested - this will run each command when the previous one completes - which i am fairly sure that is what you intended.
    Tony - Happy to try to help.
    Unless otherwise stated - all code posted by me is untested. Remember to Mark the Thread as Solved.
    Ubuntu user number # 24044 Projects : TimeWarp - on the fly Backups