Thread: Problem with Ubuntu 10.04 and NVIDIA drivers for GeForce 7600 GS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Problem with Ubuntu 10.04 and NVIDIA drivers for GeForce 7600 GS

Hi there

I hope someone can help me out. I've finally decided to ditch Windows and go full on with Ubuntu. My problem is that when I install any of the nvidia-glx-* drivers, when I reboot it shows the Ubuntu 1004 splash screen for a few seconds and then my screen just goes to sleep. I had it working fine in wubi, then it started, and it seems to be doing it now with a full install. If I try and start with failsafe x settings, I get a message that X can't find a screen. I really don't know what to do. I've even tried installing the driver from the NVIDIA site and the same thing happens

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Problem with Ubuntu 10.04 and NVIDIA drivers for GeForce 7600 GS

It seems the problem may lie with my monitor. I've tried hooking it up to a 17" LCD monitor and it worked fine and I could install the nvidia drivers with no problems. When I hooked up my monitor after that it would only run in 640x480 mode and i couldn't change it. I tried modifying the hor/vert settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but then it tries to load a resolution that is way too high and then it just hangs there. Hopefully someone can give me some clues about what to look at.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Problem with Ubuntu 10.04 and NVIDIA drivers for GeForce 7600 GS

I have a GS7600 and am running 10.04. I am using nouveau without any issues. When going to System, Administration, Hardware Drivers no nvidia drivers are activated and I have no /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If you haven't tried the Lucid defaults, it may be an option that works for you.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.