Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help in choosing new computer

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Help in choosing new computer

Hi everyone.

I am thinking about buying a new computer and I need your help. I might sound weird at the moment but please bare with me...

Currently I have ASUS Pundit P1-AH2 which is great little computer but it lacks some things I need (additional DVI and HDMI connector to be specific). I want to buy something that is small, quiet with AMD processor and nVidia graphic card. I need at least 2 DVI and 1 HDMI outputs. Any price range is fine but I want it to be a brand-name computer, not custom made.

Please if you suggest something, do specify a model number, so I can Google it later, and your experience with that hardware.

Thank you all in advance.
    Last edited by MeanEYE; June 9th, 2010 at 02:55 AM.
    RCF Group | http://rcf-group.com
    Sunflower file manager | http://code.google.com/p/sunflower-fm

Re: Help in choosing new computer

Moved to Community Cafe.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by MeanEYE View Post
    Any price range is fine but I want it to be a brand-name computer, not custom made.
    Why? :/

Warranty, customer service, insufficient proficiency in hardware fidgeting or something else? Usually small and quiet don't go hand in hand very well unless they use an external power brick, which I haven't seen in a lot of big name non-laptops. Also does this extend to PCI-E NVIDIA cards or integrated chips because AMD is unfortunately a bit more ATI these days. You'll probably need some kind of an extrnal DVI/HDMI splitbox anyway with 3 outputs.

Good luck on your crusade anyhow.
    Last edited by Breambutt; June 9th, 2010 at 06:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Breambutt View Post
    Why? :/

Warranty, customer service, insufficient proficiency in hardware fidgeting or something else? Usually small and quiet don't go hand in hand very well unless they use an external power brick, which I haven't seen in a lot of big name non-laptops. Also does this extend to PCI-E NVIDIA cards or integrated chips because AMD is unfortunately a bit more ATI these days. You'll probably need some kind of an extrnal DVI/HDMI splitbox anyway with 3 outputs.

Good luck on your crusade anyhow.
    Well am not looking for THAT small so that I need an external power brick. This is how big my current machine is:

It's not that I can't build a good machine... I just don't want to. Barebone machines are usually a lot smaller, use less power and overall better integrated.

Unfortunately I know AMD has gone ATI. Only reason I'd like nVidia is because their support for Ubuntu is far better than ATIs. With ATI there's always a good chance something will fail with drivers.

I already have DVI splitter and it's not giving me the results I want. My current machine has 1 SVGA, 1 DVI and 0 HDMI. I just purchased big 40" Toshiba TV hoping that splitter will do it's work. Well I got a big and 'nice' surprise.

Before I needed HDMI output I was prepared to live with one Analog and one Digital output for my monitors. But now problems are piling up and my 2-3 year old computer is fit for replacement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi everyone.

I am thinking about buying a new computer and I need your help. I might sound weird at the moment but please bare with me...

Currently I have ASUS Pundit P1-AH2 which is great little computer but it lacks some things I need (additional DVI and HDMI connector to be specific). I want to buy something that is small, quiet with AMD processor and nVidia graphic card. I need at least 2 DVI and 1 HDMI outputs. Any price range is fine but I want it to be a brand-name computer, not custom made.

Please if you suggest something, do specify a model number, so I can Google it later, and your experience with that hardware.

Thank you all in advance.
    All the big name allow you customize their computers when ordering online at no significant penalty.

You are probably going to be looking for a machine with 2 video card, or a built-in card plus a dedicated card.

It just will be tough to find 2 DVI ports in a shrinkwrapped computer I think.
    Patrick McSwain - New 32bit & 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 user as of 5/1/2010.
    Networking new Linux computers into my existing Wintel-based small technical business.
    I was a DOS programmer in a previous life. No UNIX/Linux experience at all.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by McRat View Post
    All the big name allow you customize their computers when ordering online at no significant penalty.

You are probably going to be looking for a machine with 2 video card, or a built-in card plus a dedicated card.

It just will be tough to find 2 DVI ports in a shrinkwrapped computer I think.
    Am aware I'll probably have to go with video cards in SLI mode. I did see some Asus barebones who have PCI-E for extension but they are ugly as hell.

Do you have any good experiences with brand-name computers. Maybe some suggestions about brand or model?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It's a real pita about ATI and NVIDIA. Could really use a properly functioning integrated chip on this machine, my 7900GT is a bit of an overkill and you could still play a bunch of recent games on moderate settings with it.

About the power brick, it's not only a matter of size. Power bricks have no fans (well, some do) and PSUs with bricks produce most of the heat outside the case which will be better on the hardware and allow for more silent operation. I just don't trust those small scale PSUs, usually the smaller the fans the more noise they make.

Maybe I'm just going a little overboard with the noise sensitivity, but it's because I record acoustic instruments on my rig.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Breambutt View Post
    It's a real pita about ATI and NVIDIA. Could really use a properly functioning integrated chip on this machine, my 7900GT is a bit of an overkill and you could still play a bunch of recent games on moderate settings with it.

About the power brick, it's not only a matter of size. Power bricks have no fans (well, some do) and PSUs with bricks produce most of the heat outside the case which will be better on the hardware and allow for more silent operation. I just don't trust those small scale PSUs, usually the smaller the fans the more noise they make.

Maybe I'm just going a little overboard with the noise sensitivity, but it's because I record acoustic instruments on my rig.
    I agree on external PSUs but am afraid it will die on me and I won't be able to get it replaced easily. I work as a programmer, so sound is not really an issue but I like it quiet. Not in the 5-fans-jet-engine-of-a-computer way quiet.

Beans

SLI in something small? Rare at best.

You might be able to get 2xDVI and 1xHDMI working from a single card, like this one-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125311

Pity its a dual-slot design, it wont fit in this shutle system thats worth a look-

http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/SA76G2.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Am aware I'll probably have to go with video cards in SLI mode. I did see some Asus barebones who have PCI-E for extension but they are ugly as hell.

Do you have any good experiences with brand-name computers. Maybe some suggestions about brand or model?

I've bought mostly HP/Compaqs or Dells for work. Maybe 3 IBMs? A couple eMachines? Built a few clones too.

HP/Compaq have had a lot of troubles in the last 5 years, I think I'm quiting.

Dells have been very good. Can't remember the last time I had one bust.

If I had to buy new tomorrow, it would be Dell or a Clone.
    Patrick McSwain - New 32bit & 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 user as of 5/1/2010.
    Networking new Linux computers into my existing Wintel-based small technical business.
    I was a DOS programmer in a previous life. No UNIX/Linux experience at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast