Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Checking Battery State and Freezes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Ubuntu Checking Battery State and Freezes

I am having the exact same issue.

As for a permanent fix, I am lacking one. Sorry.

I do however have a temporary fix. Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 it should now prompt you to log in. I would recommend logging in to your profile to prevent any serious 'oops' moments, but you can log in as root here. Now we should get our normal terminal, where type:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
    This is what is allowing me to use my machine for now. Let me know if it works for you guys.

I got my error after messing around with switching from GNOME (ubuntu-desktop) to KDE (kubuntu-desktop) then back to GNOME (ubuntu-desktop).

Good luck!
    Last edited by tophatandy; July 28th, 2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: forgot a space in there!

Beans
    Distro

For now, I made a script to help me with boot up. You can do it all from the shell that I described how to get to in my previous post. basically what we do is:
    Code:
    nano
    This will launch a in terminal text editor. Now for the script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    #Starting GDM
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
    From here, you should save the script by pressing Ctrl+O. You should now be prompted for a filename, just save it something like 'boot.sh' (just make sure that the filename has .sh at the end and you are saving this script in your home directory.Leave the text editor with Ctrl+ X. Now to make it executable we use the command
    Code:
    sudo chmod 755 boot.sh
    Obviously, if you didn't save your script as 'boot.sh' swap that out for whatever you saved it as. We can now run that script so long as it is in our directory with
    Code:
    ./boot.sh
    Now you have made an awesome script that should boot your GDM.
    Last edited by tophatandy; July 27th, 2010 at 09:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Seems somewhere in there I got confused about the issue. I am getting this on boot up. It might work for those who are getting this issue on boot up.

For the others, have any of you filed a bug report yet? If not, I will see to it that there is a bug report filed.

Beans

Same problem here at boot. It's a generic build with an Intel mobo and some socket 775 CPU. Ran the online update from 9.04 to 10.4 and it wouldn't reboot.

The above workaround doesn't work for me. When I try to run /etc/init.d/gdm restart, I get a message telling me to run "service gdm restart" instead, and that doesn't work either. It seems that the GDM isn't starting and can't be started.

Beans
    Distro

sounds to me like gdm got fouled up somewhere along the way and might not be there (?)

I would recommend trying
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    let me know how this goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I don't know if this is a fix yet, but I went into synaptic and found that a power manager for when running on battery was installed. So I just did a complete removal. pm-utils-powersave-policy 0.3.1 is the program. I'm running an old HP desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Sorry it didn't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Having same bug. Ubuntu Maverick 10.10 Alpha 3.
    Was working fine, suddenly it's now hanging at boot, with error message "Checking battery state..."

I cannot "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart" because I'm getting error message something about "gdm is now preferred to be started as a service, e.g. service gdm start" or something similar.

I cannot restart GDM after this hang in Maverick, or don't know how. Anyone know?
    e.m.fields
    Asheville, nc

Same bug here ... just installed 10.10 RC

Asus UL50V

Beans

and here!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast