Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: blank screen on resume from suspend mode

Beans

Unhappy Re: blank screen on resume from suspend mode

I have very similar issue on desktop PC with Ubuntu 10.04 - when PC returns from suspend mode I sometimes see blank screen. There is also some high hdd activities this moment (it's bloody similar to something like scandisk), and after 5-10 minutes blank screen dissapears and I can see standard gnome login window.
    UPD: Several seconds before returning to login window I always see red square composed from red dots\lines at the top left corner, seems like an artifacts in videocard buffers.
    Last edited by Robert Ayrapetyan; June 25th, 2010 at 07:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: blank screen on resume from suspend mode

I actually think I found a semi decent link explaining the problem with good solutions here. Please try it out and let me know if it works.

http://superuser.com/questions/36296...x-on-acer-aspi

Angry Re: blank screen on resume from suspend mode

This is frustrating.... I have the same problem and visited almost all the available thread over Internet... and it seems this has been a problem since 2006... in all version at least from 7.xx onwards as per what i have found.... There were few solutions to the problem posted but nothing worked fro me....

Are we saying there is no GEEK left on this entire Internet world who has solution for this ???

I am now stuck from Windows Blue Screen to Linux Black Screen......

Beans

Same problem here on y530 with nvidia 9300...noticed also on fedora 12 and 13 installs. All tried in 32 and 64 bit.

Beans

I did press the power button as well as virtually every other button on the keyboard, but it just wouldn't come back.

Beans

This is happening to me also with standby and hibernate on a Lenovo ThinkPad X41 with a wubi netbook 10.04 install. No matter how the standy or hibernate are triggered the screen is blanked (but still on) and the sleep indicator light on the notebook flashes but never fully enters the standby or hibernate as far as I can tell (power seems to be drained as if the system were still running normally). It's completely unresponsive to any keyboard strokes or the power key. Only the programmers interrupt or a full power off holding the power key several seconds allows me to escape this lockup which results in a full startup of course.

Beans

OK, I hadn't seen this before but the link that jrab77 included had the source of my problem. I nearly always have an SD card in my notebook and the kernel for netbook 10.04 is trying to umount it and failing each time on suspend/hibernate. Need to compile our own kernel as it mentioned it seems:

"Enabling UNSAFE_RESUME in the kernel options for MMC device drivers will stop the kernel from unmounting SD/MMC cards before suspend."

Would prefer to see that behavior as a default as the risk for that seems to be mostly those using ext2/ext3 file systems on their SDs (or those that like to eject SDs while it's suspended).

After unmounting and ejecting the SD card suspend and hibernate appear to be working as they did before 10.04.
    Last edited by PhaseMod; September 25th, 2010 at 05:27 PM.

Beans

This works for me when unmounting / ejecting the SD card.
    Ubuntu 12.10

Now;
    "Enabling UNSAFE_RESUME in the kernel options for MMC device driver

How do I do that? In grub?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12