Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Is Arch REALLY worth installing?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Is Arch REALLY worth installing?

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzam6999 View Post
    I don't know any Arch users that do a system update everyday. Seems a lot of the arguments against Arch boil down to unfounded generalizations. Why all the hate?
    I try do a full upgrade everyday. Why wouldn't I? I used to not but I would forget to do it for a month or longer, and I'd have hundreds of packages that needed to be upgraded. And it's much more difficult to figure out what package is broken when you've just upgraded 150 packages rather than just two or three.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzam6999 View Post
    I don't know any Arch users that do a system update everyday. Seems a lot of the arguments against Arch boil down to unfounded generalizations. Why all the hate?
    Why all the hate for ubuntu from some people? That's life I guess.

But to stay on topic, at the end of the day, whether I use windows, mac, or linux, I wind up doing the same things on my computer day after day. I just don't see any advantage for using arch to do the same things I'm doing now on ubuntu. Which btw, works 100% perfect. Arch could not do any better. (for me)

Doing hours of configuration isn't going to make my computing experience any better than it already is. When something works flawlessly, why change? But to be honest, I do occasionally like to try out other distros to see what's happening. But something about arch just does not appeal to me. Different strokes for different folks, right? Choice is good, and that's one of the many reasons I use linux.
    Last edited by WinterRain; July 4th, 2010 at 01:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Noz3001 View Post
    Probably, but do you do that every day?
    yep, unless I see kernel, xorg or glib in the update list, which I would do some research before doing it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danielrmt View Post
    yep, unless I see kernel, xorg or glib in the update list, which I would do some research before doing it.
    Was talking about Ubuntu, not Arch

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Noz3001 View Post
    Was talking about Ubuntu, not Arch
    hmmmm....

It makes no sense to do it everyday in Ubuntu, because their repos are frozen. It only makes sense if you are using the development version before the feature frezze, which is kind of a rolling release distro.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213