Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Is Arch REALLY worth installing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Is Arch REALLY worth installing?

Quote Originally Posted by MisfitI38 View Post
    Sounds good. I think I'll pop it on one of my machines and run it a while. I've also been thinking about switching a box back to OpenBSD, which I thought was pretty excellent too (although not so much for desktop-ish purposes).
    Favorite man page quote: "The backreference \n, where n is a single digit, matches the substring previously matched by the nth parenthesized subexpression of the regular expression." [excerpt from grep(1)]

Beans

just try, and you will love it

Beans

It's worth installing on a separate partition to mess with. That's about it.

My answers:
    1) Xubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora 9

2) Too much time spent configuring, didn't get much back. Wasn't as fast as people say. In fact, once I had all the daemons I needed in the array, it was much slower than Ubuntu.

3) No, it breaks a lot. -Syu breaks things leaving you to fix it.

4) No

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I don't understand what people were doing to their systems to get pacman to bork their stuff, but for me the only issue I had on Arch that I could never figure out was a Pulseaudio thing. My laptop has an LFE speaker on the bottom that is a crappy sub/speaker hybrid thing, and I have to make a custom analog-output.conf for my Pulseaudio to get that to work with volume change just like everything else otherwise it is either on full blast, or muted which makes the sound on the rest of the speakers tinny and sad. This only friggin' works on Ubuntu though as I have tried every thing I can think of on Arch to get Pulseaudio to behave *any* different than how it does upon installation. I couldn't get OSS to handle my LFE at all, so I said to hell with it and just keep using Ubuntu, because with checkinstall you get some of the perks that pacman gives you just without ABS, and AUR. AUR really kicks *** though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sukigenseki View Post
    I don't understand what people were doing to their systems to get pacman to bork their stuff, but for me the only issue I had on Arch that I could never figure out was a Pulseaudio thing. My laptop has an LFE speaker on the bottom that is a crappy sub/speaker hybrid thing, and I have to make a custom analog-output.conf for my Pulseaudio to get that to work with volume change just like everything else otherwise it is either on full blast, or muted which makes the sound on the rest of the speakers tinny and sad. This only friggin' works on Ubuntu though as I have tried every thing I can think of on Arch to get Pulseaudio to behave *any* different than how it does upon installation. I couldn't get OSS to handle my LFE at all, so I said to hell with it and just keep using Ubuntu, because with checkinstall you get some of the perks that pacman gives you just without ABS, and AUR. AUR really kicks *** though.
    You must not have used it for a long time. -Syu breaks eventually

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It's not that -Syu breaks, more often the problem is that one of the programs you've updated has a bug or something that ends up breaking stuff. I've been fine for over a year now, but there have been a couple times in the past where dbus or hal were totally screwy after being updated, and the only solution was to revert to the previous version. But when you use a rolling release distro, that stuff is just going to happen.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Noz3001 View Post
    You must not have used it for a long time. -Syu breaks eventually
    Nice generalization. It have never happened to me, but I can see how it can happen. That's why I'm not one of those preachers. 'apt-get dist-upgrade' also breaks for the same reason.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danielrmt View Post
    Nice generalization. It have never happened to me, but I can see how it can happen. That's why I'm not one of those preachers. 'apt-get dist-upgrade' also breaks for the same reason.
    Probably, but do you do that every day?

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Is Arch REALLY worth installing?
    Yes, It's a great learning experience. Just read the wiki.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Noz3001 View Post
    Probably, but do you do that every day?
    I don't know any Arch users that do a system update everyday. Seems a lot of the arguments against Arch boil down to unfounded generalizations. Why all the hate?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast