Thread: dual booting

Beans

dual booting

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop. I have to use the website http://www.amway.ca/EN for my business purpose to show and watch videos and listen to audio files for learning the business and informations. As it uses only Silverlight, I was directed to install Moonlight which I did but still could not succeed to see or listen.
    I contacted the customers services at the amway's head office in USA and had a talk with a representative. They are currently not supporting Linux but are trying to find a solution for this.
    My question now is that is there anyone who can help me with a solution to this or help me to set up a dual booting system as I like to use Ubuntu but am forced to install Windows for my business purpose or I have to switch back to Windows only?
    If the suggestion is for dual booting please help me with how to do that and oblige.
    thanks,
    dr.gaurang

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: dual booting

If you're getting video but no audio you might have some missing codecs for the audio. gstreamer-plugins-ugly might solve the problem.. search synaptic package manager for gstreamer and install -ugly then try again and see what happens.
    I'm hungry, I have a headache, I want to play, the white cat looks tasty, where's my bone, Brush Me, don't brush me, Flea! Flea! Woof!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I can watch the presentation video on the first page, using seamonkey with flash pluggin.

Can you watch this animation? If yes, can you give me a link to one of the videos which you cannot watch?

("install -ugly"? Is there really such a command? ROTFL!)

Mariane
    Last edited by Mariane; June 7th, 2010 at 08:18 PM.
    The result of the "make" command:
    - Sitting bored in front of a computer
    - Watching abstruse output scrolling upwards too fast to be read
    - And waiting for something to go wrong

Beans
    Distro

yep.. they are actually called gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse and have codecs that might pose distribution problems in some countries because of copyright issues..
    I'm hungry, I have a headache, I want to play, the white cat looks tasty, where's my bone, Brush Me, don't brush me, Flea! Flea! Woof!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mariane View Post
    I can watch the presentation video on the first page, using seamonkey with flash pluggin.

Can you watch this animation? If yes, can you give me a link to one of the videos which you cannot watch?

("install -ugly"? Is there really such a command? ROTFL!)

Mariane

Thanks Mariane
    I did install gstream - ugly as said but unsuccessful to view the file. I am giving the link of videos I want to watch so that you can help me further. http://www.amway.ca/Shop/Search/Sear...keyword=videos

Hoping to get more help to succeed.

dr.gaurang

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

did you install the moonlight preview version 3?
    I just installed this, attempted to play the ribbon consumer video and was prompted for a plugin...accepted and video runs fine, including sound.

Mind you firefox froze up for a few seconds once the video ended

// edit: further testing and firefox may freeze totally and need to be force quit. this may sound like a rant but any company that insists on using solely sivlerlight (buggy piece of junk dosnt work well on my windows install either) needs shooting! havnt they heard of accessibility?
    Last edited by Matt__; June 7th, 2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: rant :)
    Toshiba AMD64 2Ghz, 4Gb RAM: dual Natty/win7. Dell Mini10v: 10.04. SamsungN140:win7/11.04. NB200:10.10.
    ++ desktops P4 3Ghz ++ servers
    Full Circle Magazine | Ubuntu Pocket Guide | HantsLUG

Beans
    Distro

Check out that site's "Validate" line.. it's looking to validate against Windows and IE7.. They are using MS Sharepoint etc..

Looks like they were sold a bill of goods as they say.. If Amway is attempting a global presence then their consultants should have let them know other parts of the civilized world are looking for universal access, not propitiatory.

<head id="ctl01_Head1"><meta name="msvalidate.01" content="4BF667B162E62AE3D0B0436EF4F0BD92" /><meta name="verify-v1" content="P7zZjV9ChWtB4EAiMqFfZpuX/ZOK1JrCBp7CDYVq18Q=" /><meta name="ROBOTS" content="NOODP" /><meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft SharePoint" /><meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" /><meta http-equiv="Expires" content="0" /><title>