Thread: I want to use a GPIB adapter to run a Keithley 2400 SMU, and use run Lab Tracer II

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I want to use a GPIB adapter to run a Keithley 2400 SMU, and use run Lab Tracer II

My back story is: I've used Windows my entire life and have very limited experience with Linux and programming (a little bit of C and C++).

My current story is: I have a Dell laptop running Ubuntu Linux 9.04. Soon I will be using a Keithley 2400 SMU (Source Measure Unit) to do some characterization (current-voltage stuff). To use it I will be using the Keithley KUSB-488A GPIB adapter, which I have found linux drivers for. To run the SMU I want to use a program called Lab Tracer II (available for free on the Keithley site) which is for Windows only.

My big question is: is it possible to make this setup work if I use Wine or Qemu to simulate Windows so that I can run Lab Tracer? Will Lab Tracer be able to "talk" to the adapter and the SMU if it's in a Windows simulation? If not, is there a Linux equivilant of Lab Tracer II? If not, what would I need to know to write such a program?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Beans

Re: I want to use a GPIB adapter to run a Keithley 2400 SMU, and use run Lab Tracer

Hi logos! I am trying to get the KUSB 488a from Keithley to work under linux (I am using Ubuntu 10.04), but to no avail-I can't find suitable drivers. Could you provide a link for me? That would be awesome.