Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: HOWTO dialin PPP server, RAS server

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    3

    Re: Cell phone as dial-in modem

    Quote Originally Posted by jalla2000 View Post
    Should it be possible to use my cell-phone connected to my server at /dev/ttyUSB0 as the answering internet-sharing modem? That would be very interesting since in norway there are cell-phone subscriptions that allow free calls between selectable numbers. I currently have my Nokia 7250i connected to my ubuntu server (DKU-5 cable). What do you guys think about this?
    Jalla, If you get any response, please let me know.
    I am preparing for the MCSE networking exam and I want to practice dial-in setup.
    I live in an area that does not have a land line phone service but I do get cell phone services. I have 2 cell phones.

    John

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Beans
    2

    Re: HOWTO dialin PPP server, RAS server

    I just want to setup my notebook as a dial-in server for my old Atari Falcon030 using a null modem cable. Is there anything special I have to do?

    Thanks!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Terrebonne, Quebec, CAN
    Beans
    12
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: HOWTO dialin PPP server, RAS server

    Just installed on my Poweredge 1850 server with Ubuntu 11.10 server and I need an update for setting up a dialin PPP server!?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Coldwater, OH
    Beans
    506
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: HOWTO dialin PPP server, RAS server

    I know this topic is about 2-3 years old but I just installed this on a old desktop with 10.04.3lts installed using external 56k modem and having issues with the guide like:

    when it ask to create /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0 I get this:

    Failed to open /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0 : No such file or directory

    the settings are on 777 for permissions.
    Tim's Computer Repair
    trpcrepair.com

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Beans
    78
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: HOWTO dialin PPP server, RAS server

    Yeah it's been a long time. Let me see if I can figure it out

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Beans
    78
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: HOWTO dialin PPP server, RAS server

    I hope you already figured it out. If not let me know - I'm sure we can get it to work.

    Without too much looking in too it are you just having problem creating the file? What exact command did you use to create the file? and what are the 777 permissions for if the file doesn't exist? Creating the file could be done in many different ways - like
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0
    and type in whatever you need... It just worked for me. Default Ubuntu 11.04 i386 Desktop installation....

    If I understand you right - it sounds like the /etc/ppp doesn't exist in your installation for some reason. Try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ppp
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pppconfig
    I hope this helps


    Quote Originally Posted by kustomjs View Post
    I know this topic is about 2-3 years old but I just installed this on a old desktop with 10.04.3lts installed using external 56k modem and having issues with the guide like:

    when it ask to create /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0 I get this:

    Failed to open /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0 : No such file or directory

    the settings are on 777 for permissions.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Beans
    78
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: HOWTO dialin PPP server, RAS server

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBuzzer View Post
    Just installed on my Poweredge 1850 server with Ubuntu 11.10 server and I need an update for setting up a dialin PPP server!?

    I'm trying to go through the howto again it looks like /etc/inittab doesn't exist anymore. It's been suggested somewhere if you will put one in there Ubuntu will honor it. Others (Nerdcentric and quiricada ) have suggested that /etc/event.d/ should be used instead. Looking at SerialConsoleHowto for newer versions of Ubuntu we have to use
    Code:
    /etc/init/ttyS0.conf
    It seems like this should be appropriate content for it

    Code:
    # ttyS0 - mgetty
    #
    # This service maintains a mgetty on ttyS0 from the point the system is
    # started until it is shut down again.
    start on stopped rc RUNLEVEL=[2345]
    stop on runlevel [!2345]
    
    respawn
    exec /sbin/mgetty ttyS0
    I don't see other differences from the guide

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Terrebonne, Quebec, CAN
    Beans
    12
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: HOWTO dialin PPP server, RAS server

    Quote Originally Posted by al108 View Post
    I'm trying to go through the howto again it looks like /etc/inittab doesn't exist anymore. It's been suggested somewhere if you will put one in there Ubuntu will honor it. Others (Nerdcentric and quiricada ) have suggested that /etc/event.d/ should be used instead. Looking at SerialConsoleHowto for newer versions of Ubuntu we have to use
    Code:
    /etc/init/ttyS0.conf
    It seems like this should be appropriate content for it

    Code:
    # ttyS0 - mgetty
    #
    # This service maintains a mgetty on ttyS0 from the point the system is
    # started until it is shut down again.
    start on stopped rc RUNLEVEL=[2345]
    stop on runlevel [!2345]
    
    respawn
    exec /sbin/mgetty ttyS0
    I don't see other differences from the guide

    My modem is HSF modem and even doesn't work, so I can't configure the ttyS0 channel! I have "No pre-built modules for: Ubuntu-11.10 linux-3.0.0-14-server x86_64-SMP" error!! The compiler doesn't find smp_lock.h in the include for linux, so how can I find this header??

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    4

    Re: HOWTO dialin PPP server, RAS server

    I would like to setup this linux server with internet share for winxp desktop to dial-in.

    I have set up the ppp server for ubuntu v8.10 desktop version for winxp dialup.
    I test it, but the winxp cannot get the ip from ppp server.
    Any hints for it?

    I have tried to hardcode the ip from winxp.
    But it make the connection for a very short moment (1sec) and drop off.
    The ip ??

    Please help. Thank you very much.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Beans
    78
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: HOWTO dialin PPP server, RAS server

    Hey, I don't have the setup working anymore but you should be able to get it work.
    It would seem that something could be off in /etc/ppp/options/ttyS0 more about it in section 10 of part 2. Also try debug option in it. See if it gives you more info.

    Quote Originally Posted by csnow View Post
    I would like to setup this linux server with internet share for winxp desktop to dial-in.

    I have set up the ppp server for ubuntu v8.10 desktop version for winxp dialup.
    I test it, but the winxp cannot get the ip from ppp server.
    Any hints for it?

    I have tried to hardcode the ip from winxp.
    But it make the connection for a very short moment (1sec) and drop off.
    The ip ??

    Please help. Thank you very much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •