Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hauppauge HVR-1600 remote certain lircrc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hauppauge HVR-1600 remote certain lircrc

Hello, I'm setting up my first mythbuntu box and am having some troubles with some of the buttons on my remote. I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 tuner card and the included remote (the gray one, not the black MCE-labeled one). I'm running 10.04 with all the latest updates.

I've managed to use irrecord to map all of the buttons to an identifier, but in the mythtv "edit keys" setup, only certain buttons are detected. Non-working keys include the TV, Videos, Music, Pictures, and Radio buttons, and the colored buttons. here is a copy of the file irrecord generated (~/.mythtv/lircrc):

Code:
    # Please make this file available to others
    # by sending it to <lirc@bartelmus.de>
    #
    # this config file was automatically generated
    # using lirc-0.8.6(devinput) on Sun Jun  6 14:57:39 2010
    #
    # contributed by Patrick Malcolm (patmalcolm91@gmail.com)
    #
    # brand:                       Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 Gray Remote
    # model no. of remote control: 
    # devices being controlled by this remote:
    #

begin remote

name  myremote
      bits           16
      eps            30
      aeps          100

one             0     0
      zero            0     0
      pre_data_bits   16
      pre_data       0x8001
      gap          35991
      toggle_bit_mask 0x0

begin codes
              KEY_RED                  0x018E
              KEY_GREEN                0x018F
              KEY_YELLOW               0x0190
              KEY_BLUE                 0x0191
              KEY_1                    0x0002
              KEY_2                    0x0003
              KEY_3                    0x0004
              KEY_4                    0x0005
              KEY_5                    0x0006
              KEY_6                    0x0007
              KEY_7                    0x0008
              KEY_8                    0x0009
              KEY_9                    0x000A
              KEY_0                    0x000B
              KEY_SUBTITLE             0x0172
              KEY_PLAY                 0x00CF
              KEY_STOP                 0x0080
              KEY_RECORD               0x00A7
              KEY_FASTFORWARD          0x00D0
              KEY_FORWARD              0x00A3
              KEY_REWIND               0x00A8
              KEY_BACK                 0x00A5
              KEY_VOLUMEUP             0x0073
              KEY_VOLUMEDOWN           0x0072
              KEY_ESC                  0x00AE
              KEY_LEFT                 0x0069
              KEY_RIGHT                0x006A
              KEY_UP                   0x0067
              KEY_DOWN                 0x006C
              KEY_ENTER                0x001C
              KEY_MENU                 0x008B
              KEY_MUTE                 0x0071
              KEY_TV                   0x0179
              KEY_VIDEO                0x0189
              KEY_TEXT                 0x0184
              KEY_INFO                 0x008B
              KEY_MENU                 0x016D
              KEY_AUDIO                0x0188
              KEY_RADIO                0x0181
              KEY_PREVIOUS             0x019C
              KEY_POWER                0x0074
              KEY_HOME                 0x0161
              KEY_PROG1                0x016F  # Pictures button
          end codes

end remote
    In the mythbuntu control center, the remote type is set to "Hauppauge TV Card".

Is there something I'm missing to get mythtv to recognize these buttons? Or should I just map the signals to other keys that do work? If I do have to map them to other keys, what would you recommend?

EDIT: the name of the remote is the A415-HPG. I found some information saying that the buttons I'm having trouble with weren't supported yet, but since irrecord detects the pulses, shouldn't I be able to just map them to keyboard keys? I've not had much luck in my searches, so can someone point me to somewhere I can find the proper configuration for this remote or the status of the work going into supporting these buttons?
    Last edited by patmalcolm91; June 8th, 2010 at 06:10 PM.

Beans

Re: Hauppauge HVR-1600 remote certain lircrc

How in the world did you get the remote to work at all? I seem to be too noobish to even get a single button to work on my 1600. I also have the grey remote.

Beans
    Distro

I had to dig through a lot of forums and tutorials, and eventually figured out that I had to enable the kernel module ir-kbd-i2c. That got me basic functionality (also be sure the cable is fully plugged in, as it can be difficult to fully insert because of the location of the port). That provides very basic support (arrow buttons and ok button). Using irrecord to get the posted lircrc file got a few more buttons to function, and that's where i'm at now.

Beans
    Distro

Here's some additional info after more searching and troubleshooting:

irw only responds to the number keys, the arrow keys, and the ok button, and the arrow keys show the escape characters (which as i read somewhere might mean that the kernel is catching these events, not lircd) Doing a "cat /dev/input/event5" shows that all the buttons are sending signals (random characters show up onscreen with every press). Changing config files seems to have absolutely no effect on anything, it's always the same few buttons that work. unchecking "Enable a Remote Control" in MCC doesn't stop the buttons from working. Any ideas?
    Last edited by patmalcolm91; June 10th, 2010 at 10:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Yes, I need help with this too. I just upgraded to 10.04 and am having trouble with the remote. Only the arrow buttons, enter, and power seem to work.

I did also notice that they were the only ones caught by irw and the remote now navigates other programs and system menus that I hadn't had it set up to do before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If anyones still interested, http://rtr.ca/hvr1600/, worked for me in lucid. I did have to remap some keys. No biggie. Now all the keys are working. After installing, I just ran irw from a terminal to see what the remote key presses were registering as. Hopefully this will help someone because I know I was ready to poke my own eyeballs out looking for a solution for this.

Beans

I just got this card after reading reviews it worked out-of-the-box with Linux. I guess that review referred to the TV tuner function, not the IR remote.

Thanks to the info in this thread I now have the receiver working. Is there any hope for the IR blaster ever working? Or do I need to get another blaster?

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by mycatsnameisbernie; July 5th, 2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: fix errors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'll have to back out of this discussion. I gave up on lirc and embraced the kernel support. Most of the buttons work now, but there's still a few I can't identify and remap.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mycatsnameisbernie View Post
    Is there any hope for the IR blaster ever working?
    After much trial, error, Googling, and posting on mythtv-users, I finally have my HVR-1600 IR receiver and blaster both working in Lucid 10.04, with all of the grey Hauppauge remote's keys detected. The key to the solution is to use module lirc_zilog, but it's not easy. Here is how I did it:

1. There is lots of old info online pointing at lirc_pvr150. Unfortunately that code is very old and won't build on recent kernels. That modle has been superseded by lirc_zilog.
    2. The best description of lirc_zilog is found on Jarod Wilson's blog. His blog refers to the Hauppauge HD-PVR, but most of it applies to the HVR-1600.
    3. Jarod's lirc_zilog code is written for Fedora, and it won't build on Ubuntu without modification. So don't bother trying to download the lirc_zilog code from Jarod's blog. The easiest way to get source code for a Ubuntu-compatible lirc_zilog is to download and use the zilog.diff patch described in this post.
    4. Follow the instructions in Jarod's blog to copy the firmware and lircd.conf files from Mark Weaver's site to your system.
    5. Modify /etc/lirc/hardware.conf as follows:
      Code:
      #Chosen Remote Control
      REMOTE="Hauppauge TV card"
      REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_zilog"
      REMOTE_DRIVER=""
      REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
      REMOTE_SOCKET=""
      REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge"
      REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""
      #Chosen IR Transmitter
      #TRANSMITTER="Command IR : Motorola Cable box"
      #TRANSMITTER_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_serial"
      #TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
      #TRANSMITTER_DEVICE="/dev/lirc1"
      #TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
      #TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF="motorola/dctxxxx.conf"
      #TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""
      Note that the Transmitter section of hardware.conf is commented out. That is because the single lircd daemon spawned by the REMOTE section handles both receive and transmit.
    6. At this point I thought i was done. But when I rebooted or restarted lircd, my syslog was filled with hundreds of messages of the form
      Code:
      Jul  3 09:03:04  mythtv lircd-0.8.6[1110]: error in configfile line 62: 
      Jul  3  09:03:04 mythtv lircd-0.8.6[1110]: "2147549184" is out of range
      This is caused by the values in Mark Weaver's lircd.conf being greater than 2**31, but lircd code uses signed 32 bit integers. The fix is to get the source for lircd, change the type of lirc_t to unsigned int, and rebuild and resinstall it, as described in this thread. Additional build instructions for lircd can be found here.
    7. Unfortunately, lircd 0.8.6 gets a compile error when building on Lucid. I fixed it by applying bug296739a.patch from here.
    8. My final problem was caused by the default location of lircd in the source code's configure script. It defaults to /usr/local/sbin, but the executable used by Unbuntu is in /usr/sbin. Either run configure with the correct parameters, or copy the lircd executable manually to /usr/sbin.
    Now, when you reboot, the irw command should display keys pressed on the remote, and running Mark Weaver's send_power_new script should cause the visible LED in your blaster to blink. If it doesn't work, check your dmesg, /var/log/syslog, and /var/log/lircd for clues.

I have an intermittent problem where lircd sometimes crashes during boot-up. If this happens you will see the following in /var/log/lircd:
    Code:
    Jul  4 09:32:04 mythtv lircd: caught signal
    Jul  4 09:32:04 mythtv lircd: lircd(default) ready, using /var/run/lirc/lircd
    Even though it says it is ready, lircd is non-functional after catching the signal. If that happens, you can recover by restarting it manually with sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart.

You will need to modify Mark Weaver's change_channel script to refer to the raw codes from the proper code set for your device. I made these changes to do that:
    Code:
    --- change_channel    2010-07-02 10:31:14.592215719 -0700
    +++ change_channel    2010-07-04 15:35:37.192103808 -0700
    @@ -12,6 +12,9 @@
     # Change this to point to your rc executable
     $rc_command = "/usr/local/bin/irsend";

+# Change this to the prefix for cable box's code set
    +$prefix = "0_84_KEY_";
    +
     # This subroutine actually sends the signal to the cable box
     sub change_SIGNAL {
         my($SIGNAL) = @_;
    @@ -35,7 +38,7 @@

while( $counter < $length )
         {
    -    $temp .= substr($SIGNAL,$counter,1) ." ";
    +    $temp .= $prefix.substr($SIGNAL,$counter,1) ." ";
         $counter++;
         }
    Change the value of $prefix to the correct code set for your remote.

Thanks to Jarod for creating the driver, and for the help he gave me on the mythtv-users mailing list.

Hope that helps...
    Last edited by mycatsnameisbernie; August 3rd, 2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: fix typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by acurarrd1 View Post
    If anyones still interested, http://rtr.ca/hvr1600/, worked for me in lucid. I did have to remap some keys. No biggie. Now all the keys are working. After installing, I just ran irw from a terminal to see what the remote key presses were registering as. Hopefully this will help someone because I know I was ready to poke my own eyeballs out looking for a solution for this.
    Just to elaborate on acurarrd1's suggestion (which also worked for me):

Here's the procedure I followed:

1) Add ir-kbd-i2c to /etc/modules and reboot. (Or run 'modprobe ir-kbd-i2c' to temporarily load the required kernel module). Then you can see if your IR transmitter is detected:

Code:
    $ dmesg | grep " IR "
    [   21.977317] tveeprom 0-0050: has no radio, has IR receiver, has IR transmitter
    [   22.431856] input: i2c IR (CX23418 Z8F0811 Hauppau as /devices/virtual/input/input4
    [   22.433537] ir-kbd-i2c: i2c IR (CX23418 Z8F0811 Hauppau detected at i2c-0/0-0071/ir0 [cx18 i2c driver #0-0]
    2) Download http://rtr.ca/hvr1600/fix_hauppauge_remote.tar.gz
    3) Extract and copy the files enable_hauppauge_remote.sh and hauppauge_remote.conf to /usr/local/bin. Note that you do not need to run the included Makefile in Lucid.
    4) Next, run 'sudo /usr/local/bin/enable_hauppauge_remote.sh' (which prints a list of key mappings to stdout)

Code:
    $ sudo /usr/local/bin/enable_hauppauge_remote.sh
    /dev/input/event4
    map: 48 keys, size: 128/128
    set: 0x003d =  60  # KEY_F2
    set: 0x003b =  61  # KEY_F3
    set: 0x0001 =   2  # KEY_1
    You can then open a text editor such as mousepad and press, e.g., the numbered buttons on your Hauppauge remote (while pointing it at the IR receiver, of course). If you see some digits appear in the text editor, you are in business.

It is also important to verify that the IR cable is plugged in all the way! Mine wasn't at first and it led to some frustration as I couldn't understand why the darn thing wouldn't work.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast