Thread: Gcalctool is not good at all in Maverick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Gcalctool is not good at all in Maverick

It has reduced functionality and is not resize-able. Is this intentional as a "development" (regression) of 2.30, or is it the result of not being merged/repackaged/etc. yet?
    FireHOL: An amazing, powerful, linux server firewall that is easy to understand, configure, and use!

Check it out if you want a secure Ubuntu Server: sudo apt-get install firehol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Gcalctool is not good at all in Maverick

That's the Gnome devs trade-off to make it start up faster than Google Chrome.

http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/6193...-you-need-them

I'm of course kidding, or maybe not.

Beans
    Distro

OK, so I did a thorough comparison of the Lucid/Maverick versions, and the new calculator is not so bad.

It IS, however, less functional, but they're on the right path.

Big changes:

-Scientific mode is removed, leaving advanced. I think it should have been the other way around; Scientific mode was a superset of advanced. By doing this, you lose a list of constants to use and they should have stuck with having more functionality than less.

-Configuration is moved to a preferences dialog box, whereas in Lucid everything is in the "View" drop down menu. This makes the program less usable, because some options now tucked away in "Preferences" I changed often on the fly. I don't care much either way, but it seems like change for change's sake.

-Related to the above, they took out shortcuts for changing from one calculator mode to another. Why? That was a useful feature.

-The calculator is not resize-able, and the buttons are cramped. I'm sure someone thinks the coloring of buttons makes up for this, but it isn't as attractive or clean as before. I guess the downsizing of the app physically is to help the netbook crowd, but I personally find it unappealing.

Ways to remedy these issues:

-Take out advanced, put in Scientific.
    -Allow window resizing. Preferably, make it to where the buttons spread out nicely as a result of enlarging the window.
    -(personal opinion) Get rid of preferences, and put everything back on the screen like it was.

Basically, the only thing I like about the new calculator is removing a redundant mode (though the wrong one is removed) and coloring the buttons (though this is used as a substitute for a cleaner button layout.)
    FireHOL: An amazing, powerful, linux server firewall that is easy to understand, configure, and use!

Check it out if you want a secure Ubuntu Server: sudo apt-get install firehol

Beans
    Distro

Yes, calculator always annoyed me, it is soooo ****in sloww loaaaddingg. In windows, the calculator which is almost the same, appears instantly after you hit the calc button, in ubuntu, it takes 2 or 3 secs. The same with gedit, just 1% of the times you use such advanced features, by default it should be like windows and use leafpad which is fast.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Speed_arg, so you're saying that Windows 7 runs faster on your hardware than Maverick?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_arg View Post
    Yes, calculator always annoyed me, it is soooo ****in sloww loaaaddingg. In windows, the calculator which is almost the same, appears instantly after you hit the calc button, in ubuntu, it takes 2 or 3 secs. The same with gedit, just 1% of the times you use such advanced features, by default it should be like windows and use leafpad which is fast.
    +1
    <sarcasm>
    gedit (and Natutilus, etc) is indeed slow, but how else could the Gnome devs distinguish themselves from the others? Their motto is "be slow and don't acknowledge it!".
    </sarcasm>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_arg View Post
    Same here, well gcalctool isnt too slow starting for me but freakin Word 2010 starts as fast if not faster than gedit! and no I'm not exaggerating.

I find gnome app launch time to generally be poor even on good hardware. XFCE with the same apps has much faster startup times. Kinda weird when chrome starts up faster than most of the little gnome accessories..
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

The only way word2010 is starting faster than gedit is if it's actually caching all the files in the background via superfetch and an office toolbar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Strange... no scientific mode and set to be used on 16x9 widescreen on advanced. Well on my stoneage 5x4 (1280x1024) screen it doesn't fit. Please have the "normal" calculator restored as it was for ages (or use Galculator...)