Thread: How to Increase space on home folder ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question How to Increase space on home folder ?

Hello Friends!
    I do need some help.
    I have installed ubuntu on my second hd, the size of is 500 GB.
    The live Ubuntu cd installation have used only 250 GB, the rest remains as NTFS system.
    And now I do need more space on my home folder, I would like to convert the 250 GB NTFS to Linux system and add it to my home folder. But I don't know how. I have looked at Disk Utilities, I have not found this possibility. Can some help on this?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to Increase space on home folder ?

Joao,
    I've heard of things like Partition Magic that allow you to resize existing permissions, but personally I've never used such a utility - and have to say I think the concept is abit sketchy.

As a suggestion for an alternative to actually redefining your partition table, you could always simply format the 250GB partition then simply mount it. Keep in mind you're not limited to mounting everything under / either, you could for example mount it as /home/bigmojo/music - that way it appears like it's a folder under your home directory, but is secretly another partition all together. I like to think of it as a pocket dimension myself...

Anyhow I'm relatively new to the Gnome GUI and Ubuntu so I'm not sure how you'd do this graphically, it's probably pretty simple, but via CLI it'd look something like:
    sudo mount /dev/sda9 /home/bigmojo/Music

Beans

You'll need to put your installer CD in and boot from that. Select "Try Ubuntu without making changes"

Once it loads, go to:

System> Admin.> Gparted

Right click the HDD and make sure it isn't mounted (it's probably sdb)

Now delete the partition that you don't want. Click Apply.

Right click the partition that you want to make bigger and select resize. Drag the arrows to the desired size. Click Apply.

MAKE A BACKUP FIRST!
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans

i agree with bigmojo, you would probably be better served formating the partition and mounting it.

this is what i would do (cause it what i did do). i made 5 partitions; documents, pictures, videos, music, wine. they are mounted under /mnt/<name>. then i created symlinks on my home folder for each partition. now when i click "documents" the computer thinks im at /home/<login>/Documents when its really at /mnt/documents. the benifit is when i reinstall, i do this for release testing, i do not have to move all this information back
    you do not want to mount the partitions directly in your /home because then you will have a shortcut on your desktop for each partition you create and another shortcut in nautilus. by having the mounted in another place (like /mnt) you can avoid having a dekstop filled with shortcuts.
    you will need to edit your fstab to have everything mounted for you. i have included a copy of mine for reference:
    # for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
    # devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    /dev/sda1 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /mnt/wine was on /dev/sda9 during installation
    UUID=18cc9169-76af-45ff-aed7-63a4f5c1615b /mnt/wine ext4 nodev,nosuid 0 2
    # /mnt/documents was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=3103ae55-ef58-4690-9573-1121318bfdf9 /mnt/Documents ext4 nodev,nosuid 0 2
    # /mnt/music was on /dev/sda6 during installation
    UUID=16544e79-abc8-49e6-a4ba-323e7ad122c7 /mnt/Music ext4 nodev,nosuid 0 2
    # /mnt/pictures was on /dev/sda7 during installation
    UUID=7eaa70ad-91ca-4737-82a6-db7e8739af4b /mnt/Pictures ext4 nodev,nosuid 0 2
    # /mnt/videos was on /dev/sda8 during installation
    UUID=e84643ea-33c1-4d84-8f98-4f7f4e32bcbf /mnt/Videos ext4 nodev,nosuid 0 2
    # swap was on /dev/sda10 during installation
    UUID=651b5620-1632-4571-bc78-b8b18bed88bb none swap sw 0 0
    Last edited by colorlessprism; June 6th, 2010 at 04:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: How to Increase space on home folder ?

Thanks for helping.

It was not possible to merge the new partition to home folder. What I do have now is a new volume, mounted at /media/new volume.
    But it is OK, I will move my date to this volume and I think that it is solved for now . and the next time that will reinstall the new ubuntu, it will be easy to make just one volume.

Thanks again..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Here is a tutorial for using a separate home partition.

Separate Home
    FX-4100, GA-970A-D3, CM Hyper 212+, 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333, Kingston HyperX 3K 90GB SSD, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, nVidia GTX 480
    Windows 7 Pro (Ubuntu 12.04 VM), Ubuntu Server 12.04, Ubuntu User #31355
    Dropbox!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Check out what warfacegod said. I have done this to resize partitions. You can definitely use gparted to delete the NTFS partition, and then increase the existing /home partition to take over the space that is now unallocated--as long as the /home partition is physically next to the unallocated space.

It's also possible to resize and move unmounted partitions while running Ubuntu from your hard disk, so you would be able to delete the NTFS partition, but of course you can't resize the /home partition while you're using it. That's why you need to boot up from the Live CD.