Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Logitech Performance Mouse MX

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Logitech Performance Mouse MX

Quote Originally Posted by GrammatonCleric View Post
    Figured I'd chime in on this. I have the Performance MX and have tried it on both 10.04 and 10.10. The issue I have with it is that hangs or rather pauses randomly. If you let the mouse rest it seems to go to sleep and will take several seconds to wake the mouse.

The mouse runs fine on OSX and Windows. Pitty too I was thinking of pick up the Logitech K350 keyboard which also uses the same "unifying" receiver.

-GC
    Just read your post while deciding to get this mouse. It appears that pausing sleep issue has been fixed. Even though the firmware is the same, logitech can replace the mouse with the same mouse which doesn't go to sleep or pause. I read about it here.

Beans

I'm considering getting this mouse to use with my desktop and am looking forward to it running on the dark glass the table is made of. But I'm concerned that the DPI cannot be changed in Linux though I'm not sure what problems this presents in practice. Is the mouse too sensitive? Or is it that in linux you can't take full advantage of the high DPI the mouse is capable of?

Can someone who's owned this mouse comment on whether its a worthwhile buy for linux (its ~$70 on amazon I think). If not anyone have a better recommendation?

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jebus_beler View Post
    I'm considering getting this mouse to use with my desktop and am looking forward to it running on the dark glass the table is made of. But I'm concerned that the DPI cannot be changed in Linux though I'm not sure what problems this presents in practice. Is the mouse too sensitive? Or is it that in linux you can't take full advantage of the high DPI the mouse is capable of?

Can someone who's owned this mouse comment on whether its a worthwhile buy for linux (its ~$70 on amazon I think). If not anyone have a better recommendation?

thanks
    I have this mouse on Ubuntu and it's smooth. I just use Ubuntu's mouse settings to adjust it to my liking. The back and forward buttons work great, the hidden thumb button at the bottom where your thumb rests doesn't, but I haven't bothered making it work using that software on Ubuntu (btx mouse or something). Middle button works too. Best feature is the free rolling scroll wheel with the button to make it not free. I have no complaints of it. Used for 1 year so far.

Beans

hi nLinked,

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm leaning towards getting the mouse but if you understand it could you explain to me what exactly what the issue is with lack of DPI control in Linux? I mean is there some preset DPI setting on the mouse and if so is it too high (DPI) or too low by default? Ages ago I had a logitech gaming mouse (wired) and appreciated the higher sensitivity so if I'm gonna invest $70 on a mouse I'd like it to also have that enhanced sensitivity. Otherwise I might try to find a mouse that has better linux support.

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Hmm, not sure about any DPI issues/settings. It just works when I plug it in. There's no button on the mouse to change the DPI, it's as it is. It's smooth on Ubuntu, all the changes I make are through Mouse in Settings in Ubuntu itself. Any speed you want at all can be acheieved and fine tuned in there, from very slow to very high. All I need really.

Beans

Great. Thanks for the info!

Beans

The issue is that the default resolution is at 800 (or so) DPI, when the mouse can do 1500. There is currently no way to change the DPI under any Linux distribution, as I've pointed out here.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ldd View Post
    The issue is that the default resolution is at 800 (or so) DPI, when the mouse can do 1500. There is currently no way to change the DPI under any Linux distribution, as I've pointed out here.
    This is getting quite some attention, news article here.

Beans

Here's some reverse engineered (rather hackish) code to set DPI values on the Performance MX.

It works here but, yeah, ymmv. Executable for x64 is attached for your convenience, you should rather compile it yourself and not trust some random stranger on some random message board though.

I'm using xbindkeys to switch to highest DPI value after pressing the zoom button:
    Code:
    "/usr/local/bin/performance_mx_dpi 16"
      m:0x0 + b:13 + release

Source at:
    http://derhofbauer.at/blog/blog/2012...erformance-mx/

Have fun!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 0815user; August 28th, 2012 at 09:20 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123