Thread: i'm feeling a bit left out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

i'm feeling a bit left out

I posted the instructions on how to get ftp with ssl/tls for possible inclusion as a "how-to"... and it doesn't get posted at all. Then I come back 15 minutes later and find that someone is asking "how do i get skype to run" and it gets posted!
    what's up with this?
    I thought "the rule" was "don't ask for guidelines and help here!

Beans

Re: i'm feeling a bit left out

Quote Originally Posted by gymsmoke
    I posted the instructions on how to get ftp with ssl/tls for possible inclusion as a "how-to"... and it doesn't get posted at all. Then I come back 15 minutes later and find that someone is asking "how do i get skype to run" and it gets posted!
    what's up with this?
    I thought "the rule" was "don't ask for guidelines and help here!
    I need a little more information.

The only post I can find of yours about ftp ssl/tls is this one:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=150203
    Which was posted in the desktop area and not in the HOWTO area. In order for HOWTOs to get posted to the howto area, you must post in the HOWTO area and await staff approval... If you posted it in the desktop area waiting for it to get posted to the HOWTO area - that isn't quite how we get HOWTOs created and would explain why your post was not posted.

On the second matter, questions should not be posted in the HOWTO area, and if one went through the moderation queue, it should have been either removed or approved and then moved; I can ask staff what happened, but if you have links to the posts in question, it will make it easier to track down what happened.

Since I don't know the exact post/threads you're referring to, I can't give you any concrete answers. If you could tell me more about the posts, or give me some links as examples, then I could answer you more thoroughly.

Kass
    ??? :: ubuntu is my OS soul mate
    UDSF :: Forum Policies :: Unanswered Posts :: Ruby :: Donate
    official ubuntu member
    :: ??????? :: so say we all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: i'm feeling a bit left out

Kass~
    Thanks for the reply. I was a little frustrated at seeing the post there, which was gone when I went back. However, as an update, the "how to" I put together was done out of the lack of any assistance from anyone, anywhere in getting this to run. I thought I would post it, try it myself, and then see if anyone else got any of the same results. In doing the research and 'guinea-pigging' my pristine ubuntu workstation for about half of a day, I find that, although the instructions (with a little tweaking) do, in fact, work fine in Ubuntu 5.10, they do NOT deliver the desired result. My personal conclusion is that gftp with ssl/tls under debian is a joke. I went back, cleaned up all the mess by removing gftp and all the bloat of libs that went with the dep install, went to the wiki, upgraded firefox, installed fireftp, and, "Voila!" ... ftp client with ssl/tls authentication.

I thought that having gftp under Ubuntu would be a "nice to have" since alot of people have used that client. But, with the advent of other things (like FSP), maybe this won't be needed in the future.

I can tell you that I am thoroughly impresed with Ubuntu, and am planning a production server for one of my companies in the very near future (if I can get my hands on the test box...) I'm also looking into converting my Dell laptop over after I conclude the research on that h/w ...