Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laptop doesn't recognise webcam

Beans

Re: Laptop doesn't recognise webcam

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownl...oad-30296.html these files got my ricoh webcam on my Sony Vaio to work. first i downloaded the i386 firmware file then the i386 file.

Though I was trying to set it up so i could do webchat with people on msn messenger the "aMSN" file. Unfortunately now i got a message saying MSN has changed their protocals and thus aMSN no longer has access to providing a camera to MSN people. So I can see them but they can't see me. Guess I need to look for a way to be able to do video chat with people using MSN in Honduras.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

you could probably try pidgin or empathy. i think you can do video chat over msn with those.

Beans

Thanks, but it looks like they still don't support video in msn messenger

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by z3uSS View Post
    ok ... problem solved for me

here is what i did :

$ sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-dev libusb-dev build-essential gcc automake mercurial
    $ hg clone http://bitbucket.org/ahixon/r5u87x
    $ cd r5u87x
    $ sudo make
    $ sudo make install
    $ sudo r5u87x-loader --reload

The loader will automatically be run on boot when it detects your webcam.

hope it work's for you too
    I've a Vaio VGN-FZ11Z, so a little older perhaps. The lsusb entry for my webcam reads:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05ca:1837 Ricoh Co., Ltd Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC4 [R5U870]

Running 10.04 this solution works like a dream (for Skype) following a system reboot, (prior to the reboot the webcam image was upside-down).

BUT - Cheese is another story! The programme loads and recognizes the camera (little green LED next to camera is lit) but the Cheese window is completely black... Any ideas?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12