Thread: Can not run the iriverter program.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can not run the iriverter program.

I installed "iriverter" and would like to use it to convert some video files. I like it because it uses mencoder.
    The problem is, after it installs it will not open. Here is the output running it from a terminal:
    Code:
    iriverter
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/swt/events/SelectionListener
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:634)
    	at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
    	at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:277)
    	at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:73)
    	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:212)
    	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)
    	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266)
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:334)
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.swt.events.SelectionListener
    	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
    	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)
    	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266)
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:334)
    	... 12 more
    Could not find the main class: org.thestaticvoid.iriverter.ConverterUI. Program will exit.
    It appears to be a java issue. Is there something I need to install before it runs? or when this app was packaged did it omit something?
    Thanks for the help ahead of time.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can not run the iriverter program.

I had the same problem. I read and searched then tried going to their website (http://iriverter.thestaticvoid.com/). There is also a link to their website in the Ubuntu Software Center... I uninstalled the version of Iriverter from the Ubuntu Software Center and then clicked the link to install the version 17.1 from their website and it works. Ubuntu needs to update the version of Iriverter in the Software center, or something. The problem probably has to do with that the current version contains nonfree binary codecs. I suppose they would need to do something similar to what they do for Adobe products.

Given what I was trying to do and following the lead of another thread I installed Avidemux. So now I will see which I like better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's a bug. It has been already signalised. Take a look at this page:https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/535193

In order to solve this problem try downloading the .deb of this through GetDeb, that is presently down.

Beans

Re: Can not run the iriverter program. THIS IS THE FIX

The problem and solution are simple.

The issue is in the /usr/bin/iriverter script. It refers to
    /usr/lib/java/swt-gtk-3.5.jar but the distro contains -3.5.1.jar

You can confirm part this information by opening /usr/lib/java in your file manager.

Now we need to open /usr/bin/iriverter for editing.

Since it’s a system file you need to open it with root access. I have kde-service-menu-rootactions from Sam Rog’s PPA installed on my system so I can simply right-click the file and select Root Actions > Open as Text from the context menu but you can also open it with gksudo kate /usr/bin/iriverter (substitute your preferred text editor for kate).

$CLASSPATH:${prefix}/share/java/iriverter.jar:/usr/lib/java/swt-gtk-3.5.jar org.thestaticvoid.iriverter.ConverterUI $*

to

$CLASSPATH:${prefix}/share/java/iriverter.jar:/usr/lib/java/swt-gtk-3.5.1.jar org.thestaticvoid.iriverter.ConverterUI $*

Note: If you have a different version of java in /usr/bin/java/ the then one shown, then use the name of that version of java instead.

One you’ve made the edit save the file. Now you should be able to launch iriverter without problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thank you for sharing.

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.

Thread closed.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.