Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible ??

Beans

Re: Is it possible ??

Quote Originally Posted by prshah View Post
    You need to use the resize option. There is no "merge" option.
    i've already used it but it dosn't work
    after seprating the 15 gb i can't add them to any logical partion ?

Beans

Maybe something like this will help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU9KY5DObDA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Mustafa, You need to understand the partitioning mechanism and structure. Commonly there are two partitions in a harddrive, one as a Primary that has the OS boot (active) and the other partition is called Extended partition, which CONTAINS sub partitions that we call Logical partition.

Attached an example layout of 250GB partitions, /dev/sda1 is a Primary partition and /dev/sda2 is an Extended partition (indicated in red) that CONTAINS all Logical partitions starting from /dev/sda5 to /dev/sda15. This layout will give you a clear figure of the difference between Primary, Extended and Logical partitions.

P.S. Colors will be different when using GParted LiveCD.

What I understand from your description is that you resized the Primary partition to a smaller size, which resulted of 15GB of unallocated space, and you need to use those 15GB as a new partition or add them as free space to one of the already existing Logical partitions. So I will assume you need to do one of the following:

• Using the unallocated 15GB as a new Primary partition. (Recommended)

In this case use GParted in Ubuntu or LiveCD and right click the unallocated space and create a new Primary partition. This won't take more than few seconds to get it done unlike the next two cases
    • Using the unallocated 15GB as a new Logical partition partition.

In this case you must use GParted LiveCD to resize the Extended partition to fill the whole unallocated space, in other words move the unallocated 15GB space into the Extended partition. Then right click the unallocated space and create a new Logical partition.
    • Add the unallocated 15GB as a free space to one of the already existing Logical partitions.

In this case you must use GParted LiveCD to resize the Extended partition to fill the whole unallocated space, in other words move the unallocated 15GB space into the Extended partition. Then move the Logical partitions as necessary to make the unallocated 15GB space on the RIGHT of the partition to be grown. Having all this done, now you may right click on that partition and resize it to fill all the unallocated space.
    Note that the last two cases will be VERY lengthy and if power went down you will weep like a baby for weeks for the lost data. so make sure battery is full and charger is always connected if its a notebook.

I hope this post helps you, Try to pay attention as much as possible to provide any useful info in case things went wrong, in such case I advice you calling any of the LoCo team members to help you in recovering ASAP.

Call me. If I am not available, you may try calling any of the available supporting members in this list https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EgyptTeam/Members

Good Luck!
    /Sensiva>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sensiva; June 5th, 2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: woops I forgot to attache the layout :D

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sensiva View Post
    Mustafa, You need to understand the partitioning mechanism and structure. Commonly there are two partitions in a harddrive, one as a Primary that has the OS boot (active) and the other partition is called Extended partition, which CONTAINS sub partitions that we call Logical partition.

Attached an example layout of 250GB partitions, /dev/sda1 is a Primary partition and /dev/sda2 is an Extended partition (indicated in red) that CONTAINS all Logical partitions starting from /dev/sda5 to /dev/sda15. This layout will give you a clear figure of the difference between Primary, Extended and Logical partitions.

What I understand from your description is that you resized the Primary partition to a smaller size, which resulted of 15GB of unallocated space, and you need to use those 15GB as a new partition or add them as free space to one of the already existing Logical partitions. So I will assume you need to do one of the following:

In this case use GParted in Ubuntu or LiveCD and right click the unallocated space and create a new Primary partition. This won't take more than few seconds to get it done unlike the next two cases

In this case you must use GParted LiveCD to resize the Extended partition to fill the whole unallocated space, in other words move the unallocated 15GB space into the Extended partition. Then right click the unallocated space and create a new Logical partition.
    • Add the unallocated 15GB as a free space to one of the already existing Logical partitions.

In this case you must use GParted LiveCD to resize the Extended partition to fill the whole unallocated space, in other words move the unallocated 15GB space into the Extended partition. Then move the Logical partitions as necessary to make the unallocated 15GB space on the RIGHT of the partition to be grown. Having all this done, now you may right click on that partition and resize it to fill all the unallocated space.
    Note that the last two cases will be VERY lengthy and if power went down you will weep like a baby for weeks for the lost data. so make sure battery is full and charger is always connected if its a notebook.

I hope this post helps you, Try to pay attention as much as possible to provide any useful info in case things went wrong, in such case I advice you calling any of the LoCo team members to help you in recovering ASAP.

Call me. If I am not available, you may try calling any of the available supporting members in this list https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EgyptTeam/Members

Good Luck!
    /Sensiva>
    thanks alot sensiva
    but there is a very important question
    how to move the unallocated space into extended partion in the rwo cases ??

Beans

Good Luck!
    /Sensiva>
    thanks alot sensiva
    but there is a very important question
    how to move the unallocated space into extended partion in the last two cases ??

Beans

[INDENT]In this case you must use GParted LiveCD to resize the Extended partition to fill the whole unallocated space, in other words move the unallocated 15GB space into the Extended partition. Then move the Logical partitions as necessary to make the unallocated 15GB space on the RIGHT of the partition to be grown.
    /Sensiva>
    How exactly i do that ??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mustafa atta View Post
    How exactly i do that ??
    In GParted LiveCD right click the Extended partition then choose Resize/Move, it will pop up another dialogue showing the whole Extended partition. Drag the slider to the LEFT. This will enlarge (grow) the Extended partition to fill the unallocated 15GB free space.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12