Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: The "I hate BP" thread

Beans

Re: The "I hate BP" thread

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    I've worked for 3 big ones. Some of them are better than others at doing this. However, in situations like this, even with aide from other oil companies, which is happening, there are windows of time to act, and there are windows of time to prepare. The more politics that gets in between those windows of time, the worse it is exponentially.
    I just knew Windows had to figure into this somehow!
    Favorite man page quote: "The backreference \n, where n is a single digit, matches the substring previously matched by the nth parenthesized subexpression of the regular expression." [excerpt from grep(1)]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by BoneKracker View Post
    I just knew Windows had to figure into this somehow!
    lol!
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    I've worked for 3 big ones. Some of them are better than others at doing this. Where I work currently, safety and safe practices are enforced and reinforced in almost every crevace of that company.. From production field and deep water operations, to using a box cutter. (No, I am not joking). I'm not saying this to imply that they're infoulable, but I really believe from top to bottom, that they really truly try to make as many efforts as possible, sparing no expense that I known of thus far, to do things safely. They may not always be able to guarantee success in this, no matter how safe they try to make the environment, but there is a safety culture there in practice by everyone working there unlike anywhere else I've experienced. I wish all companies, oil or not, displayed that much concern in day to day safe operations.

In situations like this, even with aide from other oil companies, which is happening, there are windows of time to act, and there are windows of time to prepare. The more politics that gets in between those windows of time, the worse it is exponentially. At this stage in the effort, we're obviously passed any sort of prevention identification towards this problem (not that preventative practices won't be identified, which I know they will) and quick fixes have proven inadequate from any company or practice. The next steps (which in my opinion should have been the first, at least in tandem with others), will take more prep time to make sure they are executed effectively, but I think they provide a higher proven success rate, just not a fast or riskless one. Again, not trying to justify anything, just calling it like I see it.
    This makes sense, in that the industry is a profitable one and safety would be part of insuring that. It is rather amazing that there aren't more problems then there have been. But some problems like in Nigeria, have not been part of the regular news, like many other areas of human suffering and degradation of the biosphere.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Don't these companies have insurance for just this kind of a scenario?
    The DRUNKS - For Your Inner Drunk

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeylover View Post
    Don't these companies have insurance for just this kind of a scenario?
    Yeah, from AIG and friends.

I smell bailout...
    Last edited by BoneKracker; June 9th, 2010 at 03:17 PM.
    Favorite man page quote: "The backreference \n, where n is a single digit, matches the substring previously matched by the nth parenthesized subexpression of the regular expression." [excerpt from grep(1)]

Beans

Day 51 begins

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I NEVER EVEN GOT TO SEE THE GULF

Vacation to an oil slick...I'll pass.

Only after disaster can we be resurrected. ~Fight Club
    I have this condition. ~ Memento
    A young girl believed in the brain in a vat theory. And when she tried to get everyone to believe her, they didn't and she was sad.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mmix View Post
    Day 51 begins
    "Day 51". Reminds me of the Iran Hostage Crisis. Can't wait to get to "Day 444". Not that any of you are old enough to remember that...

Actually, this reminds me of 3 Mile Island and Love Canal.

It's Jimmy Carter deja vu all over again...

Beans

I like BP and yes mistakes were made, but they seem to be the only people doing anything about it. The government is powerless and is trying to show that it can 'kick-a$$' but really there is nothing they can do about the situation. Once again we're seeing a weak US government that is incapable of dealing with a disaster. All they seem to be capable of doing is talking and trying to look tough. Finger pointing wont solve the problem.

I think BP should sell their assets in the US and concentrate on China, Brazil and India. If this happens then oil prices will rise in the US and the developing nations will be able to compete better and bring themselves out of poverty. It's a win-win situation for the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Johnsie; June 10th, 2010 at 10:10 AM.

Beans

Political content is now to a point where closure is prudent.
    This account is not active.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415