Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: xsane sucks! Anyone interested in making something new?

Beans

Re: xsane sucks! Anyone interested in making something new?

Could you be kind enough to take some screenshots of that software for me? I don't own a canon scanner (I have a HP Scanjet3300C) and I don't use windows at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by kiddo
    Could you be kind enough to take some screenshots of that software for me? I don't own a canon scanner (I have a HP Scanjet3300C) and I don't use windows at all.
    So, was there any progress?

Beans

No, doesn't look like people are alive >_> I'm still waiting for some replies or something. Meanwhile my student life kept me busy enough (meaning I was not bored enough to start trying to hack this together, as I'm a beginner in python anyway).

I'd quite like to do this, but I don't think I can achieve that alone, and I'd like to at least know if people like the idea, not just me

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Well I'd like to help but I've got no idea at all about programming.

If I can be of any help, just let me know.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I was thinking about this for quite some time now (improving xsane interface, I mean). It really does suck.

I am learning Python aswell, so would be nice to have a project to exercise in

Let me get back to you on this in a week or so (or you can contact me if I take too long), when the university exams are over. I would like to participate (even if I have very limited free time).

Beans

Actually, in the meantime, a hero appeared (it seems ) and started a project called GNOME Scan, our efforts might be better directed by contributing to this project than starting from scratch. I have not tried using it for a few months though, but it does give me some hope! What do you think?

Actually, I just apt-get installed it from synaptic (I am using Feisty), and it works. Pretty well. This is reassuring.

And I see Étienne Bersac (the author) pretty much the same vision I had in the beginning for batch scanning: it scans the page, says "I'm done. Stop or next page?", which is great. The only thing I feel is missing is an integrated color corrector (so I can fine-tune my scanner).

This project *might* be included in gnome 2.20.
    Last edited by Sef; April 7th, 2007 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Updated Link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

While I'm not a programmer, I do respect what you guys are planning on doing. This phenomena of great software with usable and welcome features that is PLAGUED with hideous and/or inaccessable GUI fronts seems to happen much more with open-source software, which is a crying shame. Programmers put alot of sweat and blood into making awesome programs that others can benefit from, for free, but because of the GUI problems and possibly some small bugs, all they get is complaints (the nerve of some people), and they're likely to not want to waste their time with developing for such unappreciative audiences again.

There definitely is a place in open source software development for GUI designers, or maybe even "common sense monitors". Not to say programmers don't have common sense, but what makes sense to one may be gibberish to another.

Anyway, kudos guys, I'm anxious to see what comes out of it, and I want to help in any way my (feeble) mind can.
    Sony Vaio VGN-FS550 Laptop, Ubuntu 7.10

My WordPress: Life on the Scant

Beans

Basically, the author of gnome scan/flegita is pretty responsive with bug reports or usability reports, I filed three bugs lately and they will be looked at for the next major version http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=420165
    http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=420164

I'm placing my hopes on gnome-scan; it already does everything I want except that I cannot set the resolution of my scanner (which is a bug, http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=416802) and there is no color correction (to be added someday).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12