Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Donut for the day -- krispy kreme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Donut for the day -- krispy kreme

Quote Originally Posted by sydbat View Post
    No.

Krispy Kreme KNOWS that this promotion will make them money. The vast majority of people will not just walk in and take their free doughnut and walk out. They will purchase something else as well (like a drink, coffee, other doughnuts).

To me, this "here's something free to get you into our store so you will buy something else" under the auspices of "honouring the Salvation Army" is ignorant greed. If they were taking donations for the Sally Ann (or other charities), then it would not come across as the greed it is.

And kamaboko - I was writing the above before you posted, but you are wrong...so very wrong. There is no "donation" at all. There is no mention of any support for Salvation Army or any other charity. It is simply these doughnut companies way of getting people to into their stores to buy something.

I am not saying that it is wrong of companies to do this. Stores do "free" promotions all the time to get customers into the store. As soon as people are in the store, 90% + will buy something.

What I find wrong is these doughnut companies are trading on the reputation of a charity (Salvation Army) to get people into their stores, with nothing going to the charities. That is unconscionable.
    Dude...you have issues. Nothing more to be said.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

come in and let me raise your cholesterol for free!!!

no thank you. If I want to donate to the salvation army, I will donate to the salvation army.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    come in and let me raise your cholesterol for free!!!

no thank you. If I want to donate to the salvation army, I will donate to the salvation army.
    But the problem is, they are NOT donating to the Salvation Army. They are just making it look that way to people who see "free doughnut" and "Salvation Army" in the same sentence.

I would have not had any problem with this free doughnut thing if Krispy Kreme had not intimated they are supporting the Salvation Army by giving away free doughnuts. In Canada, that kind of thing is illegal.

And kamaboko - thank you for completely missing my point.
    This is a signature. It is original.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

We are Capitalist's down here.

Beans

It's just a doughnut... who cares? If you *really* dislike the concept of this promotion/charity/thing then either ignore it or go in and get a free doughnut without paying anything so they lose money (however small) on it.
    Last edited by donkyhotay; June 4th, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Distro

Here is where you can get some real donuts not just that poser stuff, stop by if your ever in town. These will really stop your heart in it's track if taken on a daily basis.
    http://voodoodoughnut.com/menu.php

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

No.
    To me, this "here's something free to get you into our store so you will buy something else" under the auspices of "honouring the Salvation Army" is ignorant greed.
    Nowhere in the article does Krispy Kreme claim they are trying to support the Salvation Army, or that this deal has anything to do with the Salvation Army. No one who gets a free donut is going to think they are supporting anything. The only place in the article where the Salvation Army is mentioned is in the one sentence where they explain what "Free Donut Day" is. They are clearly stating that they are just observing Free Donut Day. This is obviously a promotional thing, no misdeeds or deception here. I am now done feeding the troll.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hmmmm doughnuts, yummy! Thank you!

Helped cheer me up after a couple of weird things happening on my laptop, one of which was easily fixed, and the other a mystery.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Maybe he thought Bill Gates was behind it.

That was funny
    Last edited by windycitybro; June 4th, 2010 at 09:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

But the problem is, they are NOT donating to the Salvation Army. They are just making it look that way to people who see "free doughnut" and "Salvation Army" in the same sentence.

I would have not had any problem with this free doughnut thing if Krispy Kreme had not intimated they are supporting the Salvation Army by giving away free doughnuts. In Canada, that kind of thing is illegal.

And kamaboko - thank you for completely missing my point.

No, I get it. My point is, even if they were doing whats advertised, there are healthier ways than free deep fried bread and sugar.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast