Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Low Graphics Mode

Beans

Re: Low Graphics Mode

Quote Originally Posted by Uadebisi View Post
    Yes, always starts booting & continues booting despite the "power management" warning. The prompt eventually goes away..in about 5-10 seconds.

How do I know what power manage. pkgs I have?

Thanks!
    Hi, I've got Ubuntu 10.04 installed on brand new hardware with nvidia card and restricted drivers. Everything works well but I DO also have the power management warning on bootup. It usually lasts less than 5 seconds then disappears without any other related problems that I can see.

I only have beginner experience with Linux, but I would offer some advice. I have noticed that Xubuntu seems more stable and less prone to glitches that Ubuntu. I've installed it on a couple of machines with Great Experiences. With my brand new computer equipment I figured I needed more Bells, Whistles, and Wow... Ubuntu. Anyhow, even with all that, I still think Xubuntu is Better for a general purpose computer used mainly for Internet, Email, Word Processing and Spreadsheets. It's seems much less prone to annoyances. Also, I had glitches on my system from Upgrade. I recommend backing up your data and installing FRESH, then Installing Restricted Drivers, and then the Ubuntu Restricted Extras (or Xubuntu Restricted Extras). If it's possible to backup your XP and Ubuntu Data, I'd do that, then reinstall everything. Note: my systems that work perfectly only have Xubuntu on it, and on old hardware. My system that has a few minor glitches has Ubuntu 10.04 on it, as well as Windows 7.

As a last resort for Linux salvation you should skip Ubuntu and all other distributions and go directly to Debian Stable, and install the Stable verion, the most tested Linux Distribution out there.. but without any of the latest and greatest Linux software advancements of the last couple of years. And I'd install it on a clean system without Windows.

That being said, I'm new to Linux, so others with more Experience please add to (or subtract from) my advice. Good Luck with Linux, stick with it please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Uadebisi View Post
    No, not 100% sure about S vs s

I will try again...thanks
    Good luck! I'm just about out of ideas, so hopefully this thread will get some attention from someone better

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by markMDW View Post
    Hi, I've got Ubuntu 10.04 installed on brand new hardware with nvidia card and restricted drivers. Everything works well but I DO also have the power management warning on bootup. It usually lasts less than 5 seconds then disappears without any other related problems that I can see.
    Do you have a Lauchpad account? If not, go ahead and make one. It's worth the time because it benefits you (at least) three ways:
    1. you can make and participate in bug reports related to your problems, which are generally much faster and more effective than forum support.
    2. through participation, you will learn more.
    3. you will help make the next ubuntu better.

As a last resort for Linux salvation you should skip Ubuntu and all other distributions and go directly to Debian Stable, and install the Stable verion, the most tested Linux Distribution out there.. but without any of the latest and greatest Linux software advancements of the last couple of years. And I'd install it on a clean system without Windows.
    Using debian stable is a great idea, like drinking zero-calorie, alcohol-free beer at a party.. Neither are much fun

Beans

Thanks for the Tip. I'm going to setup a launchpad account and add my little puff of wind to the Linux / Ubuntu sails. ...onward to destiny FSM / FOSS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by quequotion View Post
    Good luck! I'm just about out of ideas, so hopefully this thread will get some attention from someone better
    Well...same problem. Just entered the dreaded "Low Graphics Mode" again!

markMDW suggested Xbuntu as a more stable system for basic needs. What do you think?

Thanks for trying quequotion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, one more symptom that I forgot to mention...

Once in a while, when idle, the system just acts as though it shuts down. Meaning that the machine is still on, but the monitor will show the "self-check" window that usually appears after the machine is shut down, & the monitor light indicator will go yellow, from green. This happens to the monitor in sleep mode too, as it should, but in this case when the mouse is moved, the monitor does not come back on.

F2, Shift, alt, delete, etc. have no affect. I need to shut down hard & restart.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Uadebisi

Some good reads on Intel 8xx chipset woes, and proposed fixes.
    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Sharky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks Sharky....was there somewhere in particular in that forum that you saw a possible fix? I'd rather cut my lawn with a nail clipper than read thru that forum so any help with specifics would be appreciated.

Although I have an Intel card, others with this problem have Nvidia, so...not sure what that means.

I don't much care for spending time fixing my computers. Call me crazy, but I just like them to work And that's something I have never seen Ubuntu do. I have a Mac & 2 Windows pcs(one of which is dual-booted with Ubuntu) & have never experienced anything like what I have with Ubuntu. I have a friend who is far more capable than I, who also designs systems for IBM for a living & he struggles with Linux, so I don't feel so bad!

I do like to use Ubuntu for security reasons though, which is why I persist.
    Last edited by Uadebisi; September 16th, 2010 at 03:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Anyone have another opinion in regards to what markMDW said?:

Anyhow, even with all that, I still think Xubuntu is Better for a general purpose computer used mainly for Internet, Email, Word Processing and Spreadsheets. It's seems much less prone to annoyances.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Uadebisi

You may or may not be interested, but others may be.
    Here are instructions on using I8xx legacy driver with Lucid or Maverick.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ight=Intel+8xx

Sharky

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345