Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox 3.6.4 coming to Hardy, Jaunty, Karmic and Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Firefox 3.6.4 coming to Hardy, Jaunty, Karmic and Lucid

Not so long ago, Mozilla announced a Firefox update policy change that led Ubuntu developers to review how Firefox is updated in Ubuntu.

Basically, Mozilla is updating Firefox more frequently and pushing some feature changes as minor updates. For example, Firefox 3.7 would bring a new feature that prevents the browser from crashing when viewing Flash and Silverlight video content. This is achieved by isolating the plugin execution in a new process, instead of executing it as part of firefox-bin. It is a great feature. Anyway, this will no longer be a new feature in Firefox 3.7. Instead, Mozilla pushed this feature to Firefox 3.6.4 (currently at the release candidate stage) and Firefox 3.7 will become Firefox 4. Additionally Mozilla is now dropping support for Firefox 3.

There was a lot of discussions here in the forums when the blueprint became public, but I guess most of us mortals didn't know for sure when this would happen and if this would also be applied to Hardy and Jaunty. This is particularly important, since these Ubuntu releases already reached the last version of Firefox 3.x series.

Well, the wait is over. According to this announcement in TheFridge, Firefox 3.6.4, which will be released next week, will be rolled out to Hardy, Jaunty, Karmic and obviously Lucid.

Any Hardy user interested in testing the new version should read the original announcement and these instructions. It is strongly advised to use a Virtual Machine or a new separate Ubuntu installation. Do not use it on a production environment.

Testing versions for Jaunty and Karmic will be available soon.

I would like to thank wojox, who spotted the original announcement and sent me a PM. I apologize to the moderators if this is considered a double-post-like thread, but I thought it would interesting to share this info on the Community Cafe.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; June 3rd, 2010 at 09:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Firefox 3.6.4 coming to Hardy, Jaunty, Karmic and Lucid

Good news indeed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Good news indeed.

I did catch the new about firefox updates in ubuntu. Step in the right direction.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Step in the right direction.
    Indeed. It would be really awesome if they could release the new version simultaneously with Mozilla official release. This would certainly end the drama about Firefox updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Indeed. It would be really awesome if they could release the new version simultaneously with Mozilla official release. This would certainly end the drama about Firefox updates.
    Doubtful

When Firefox 4 is released, I'd imagine 3.6.X to still be supported for some time, so you'll still get threads of "How do I upgrade firefox to the latest version"
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    Doubtful

When Firefox 4 is released, I'd imagine 3.6.X to still be supported for some time, so you'll still get threads of "How do I upgrade firefox to the latest version"
    You are right, I forgot about major releases.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I understand the thinking behind the Ubuntu release cycle but I have been using the latest release and sometimes an alfa release for the four browsers I use for some time. They all work fine and it is easy to do.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mkvnmtr View Post
    I understand the thinking behind the Ubuntu release cycle but I have been using the latest release and sometimes an alfa release for the four browsers I use for some time. They all work fine and it is easy to do.
    I use the latest version downloaded from Mozilla and it works great too. Nevertheless, you need to consider the average user who doesn't want to download and install manually or doesn't have enough familiarity with PPA repositories.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mkvnmtr View Post
    Really? You can use an alpha and still get the add-ons to work.

Nice write up and thread lovinglinux. It's good to spread the word.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    Nice write up and thread lovinglinux. It's good to spread the word.
    Thanks wojox. Also thanks again for sending me the link to the original thread

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast