Thread: Help! Driver for ATI FireGL V5200

Beans

Help! Driver for ATI FireGL V5200

Hello there,

I just installed 10.4 Lucid. Jockey won't detect a driver for my graphics card: ATI FireGL V5200. When I load it, it lists no drivers. I also have 8.4 Hardy installed, and this detected my card fine.

What should I do? Please help.

Thanks, Richard

Beans

Re: Help! Driver for ATI FireGL V5200

Newr versions of Catalyst don't support your card, so you should just use the open-source drivers that are pre-installed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I've just done a fresh install 64bit of 10.04 on a HP NW8440 - and it uses the "open-source drivers that are pre-installed". However, the screen is constantly flickering lightly (horizontal bands slowly moving upwards) - and if I try to change the screen resolution the screen becomes garbled and almost unusable - cannot revert without reboot.

Any suggestions?

Beans

I'm having the same problem. I've also attempted to follow guides for installing the old catalyst drivers, but it seems the x.org has changed too much for me to get it right. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by voctemic View Post
    I'm having the same problem. I've also attempted to follow guides for installing the old catalyst drivers, but it seems the x.org has changed too much for me to get it right. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Sorry, there is no real "fix" for this that will allow you to use the fglrx drivers anymore. AMD dropped fglrx support for your card long ago. The only drivers available now are the open-source drivers.

You can still FIND the older drivers, but they will not work with recent Ubuntu versions.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.