Thread: applications & games

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile /root /home - space

where would the applications and games will be installed? in root/ or home/ folder? so that i can select how much space is required for /root and /home while installing ubuntu....
    Last edited by pk_m; June 3rd, 2010 at 06:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: applications & games

if the program is installed in /usr then it will be available to all users. however if it is in installed in your /home then it will only be available to you.

Beans

Any application installed from the Software Centre or from a .deb goes into your root partition (as far as I know).

If you install a program manually (ie, copy the file to wherever) then you can put it where you want to.

In my experience, applications hardly take any space on Ubuntu so you probably want a bigger home partition if you're going to use it to store everything else.

At the moment my root is 27.5gb total with 12gb of it free and my home is 293gb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by themusicalduck View Post
    At the moment my root is 27.5gb total with 12gb of it free and my home is 293gb.
    holy cow! my root partition is 12 gigs and i've never gone above using 4 gigs on my root partition. (my /home is on a different partition) what is taking up all that space?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nhasian View Post
    holy cow! my root partition is 12 gigs and i've never gone above using 4 gigs on my root partition. (my /home is on a different partition) what is taking up all that space?
    Probably a slew of unnecessary programs I've installed over time!

But also having quite a few games installed. Like the Penumbra collection takes up about 2 gigs for one.