Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Error while copying file (Error splicing file: Input/output error)

Beans

Re: Error while copying file (Error splicing file: Input/output error)

I got the same problem after 4 gb copied i got splicing file: iinput/output : file to large

possible solution could be changing the file system of pendrive from fat32 to NTFS then try to copy .

Beans

This is my first time posting, so woo hoo!

Anyways,

I consistently ran into an input/output error when trying to cp/mv/dd anything (regardless of size or format) off of my external hard drive after upgrading to 12.04 LTS. The drive mounted, and I had no trouble accessing the directories and viewing their contents. I tried several of the fixes proposed on this forum, to no avail. I then plugged the drive into a Windows 7 computer, which displayed similar behaviour.

In desperation, I stumbled into the Ubuntu Disk Utility and clicked on «Check Filesystem», which solved the problem in 30s. Now I can cp/mv files back and forth from my external without any error.

Hope it helps!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

both partitions ext 4 formatted and ntfs formatted display this error. No back up of Ripped DVD now. Any answers?
    Isa Dsouza
    crystalclearcontent.cu.cc
    Sell Out—Never; Sold Out—Always!

Beans

I ran into this problem while copying a large file from one external drive to another. I worked around it by copying the file onto my internal drive first and then copying that file to the second external drive. I'm not sure what exactly was causing the problem, but I suspect it was a hardware/firmware issue since I am able to copy large files between the same external hard drives using a different computer running the same version of Ubuntu (12.04).

Beans

I've had the same issue with different versions with Linux as well

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Any yet another one with the same problem.

HOWEVER...I noticed that the problem will minimize by using console and not PCManFM. It might even be a bug in one (or several) file managers, which apparently do something questionable in accessing the file(s) from time to time.

I had this problem a dozen times when copying stuff from NTFS to ext4 with a certain ST drive. Although it might be that this drive has at least a knack (albeit a neglectable one), there were never any kinds of these errors (Error splicing file: Read-only file system) when copying on console.
    And that PCManFM respectively libmanfm is buggy in many ways, is an open secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambol View Post
    In desperation, I stumbled into the Ubuntu Disk Utility and clicked on «Check Filesystem», which solved the problem in 30s. Now I can cp/mv files back and forth from my external without any error.
    Heh - that almost sounds like voodoo magic.
    Since even though I don't know about this utility's inner workings, I would bet my life on it that "Check Filesystem" is nothing but a frontend, simply performing a fsck under the hood.
    Last edited by syntaxerror74; June 7th, 2014 at 08:29 AM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910