Thread: No Sound....Nvidia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile No Sound....Nvidia

I am totally new to Ubuntu and I liked it.
    I thought to try by Live Ubuntu CD so I did it, it ran on my desktop.
    Not taking second chance I removed Windows 7 and installed Ubuntu 10.04 64bit.
    Then it got updated and NVidia drivers also.

My Desktop Configuration is

Gigabyte Motherboard
    NVidia GT240 Graphics
    4 GB RAM
    AMD Phenon X2

Display is 32'' Sony LCD TV, it has HDMI ports.

Everything is fine. Until I noticed some issues like.

1. In Windows, I get sound from LCD TV which is connected from HDMI, means sound pass through HDMI from Nvidia.

No sound from TV in Ubuntu, to get sound I need to connect External Speakers.

2. Does Ubuntu supports Dolby Home Theater (DHT) audio/7.1 channel audio?

3. Now when I installed Ubuntu I made one drive for /root and another one for /home to save all my data, now How to add second or third HDD??

4. Will I get applications like in Windows? ( eg. Windows Live Movie Maker, Windows Live Photo Gallery., etc)

5. Does Ubuntu has high end games? like Mass Effect, Need for Speed???

Beans

Re: No Sound....Nvidia

1. I need to clarify something first. So you're saying you don't get sound from the TV's speakers when you hook up your PC to the TV with an HDMI cable. However, you say external speakers work. How are the speakers plugged in? Is it a regular "headphone" jack or is it one of those obnoxious speakers that come with your PC and plug into a "speaker specific" slot?

2. Probably. I think it's something that would rely on your sound card's capabilities, though.

4. Of course. Applications -> Ubuntu Software Center is your friend.

5. The short answer: no. Granted, with WINE (WINE Is Not an Emulator), you can run some Windows applications and games, but not the ones you're interested in, like Mass Effect. Most of those "high end" games you speak of rely on something called DirectX (a video codec) which is very Windows-specific and doesn't run on Linux. If you want to game and have Linux, the best set up would be a Windows/Ubuntu dual boot (like I have). I do my work, image editing, web surfing, videos, music, etc on Ubuntu. I only use my Windows XP for gaming. I spend most of my "computer time" doing things other than gaming, so this set up works for me. However, if you only (or mostly) plan on gaming it probably would have been better to keep Windows 7.
    Last edited by kelocena; June 3rd, 2010 at 04:56 AM.