Thread: Help with PMC-Sierra SAS controller

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Help with PMC-Sierra SAS controller

WARNING: I have been using Linux for over 5 years, but still consider myself a Linux-noob as I am a hardware design engineer, not a software engineer, so speak slowly!

I am attempting to get Ubuntu Server 10.04 working with a custom built NAS that my company designed using the PMC-Sierra SAS controller that is supported with the new kernel. Below is the Kernel I am using and the SAS chip listed under lspci.
    Code:
    jabil@jabilU1:~$ lspci
    06:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: PMC-Sierra Inc. Device 8001 (rev 05)
    jabil@jabilU1:~$ uname -an
    Linux jabilU1 2.6.32-21-server #32-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 16 09:17:34 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    According to the kernel notes, the SAS chip drivers I am using are built into the kernel. I am trying to get the SAS drives seen as JBOD (or ANY flavor of RAID is fine too) to demo this system to a customer. I am missing an important step in between getting the chipset seen in lspci and something in /dev/ that I can mount. What step is this?

-AR
    Actors make their living playing pretend, so why do we listen to them about how we should live in the real world?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Help with PMC-Sierra SAS controller

UPDATE: Ok, I have read in the kernel release notes that the driver is actually implemented in the new 2.6.34 driver for the PMC SAS chipset. Also I found an old Red Hat installation where a development driver was installed and all 12 SAS drives are presented in the /dev/ folder as /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, etc...

SO... I am changing my question. Assuming this works and I am presented with a bunch of 1TB disks in the /dev/ folder, how do I combine them all as one big RAID5 drive I can mount?

I am hoping this is an easier question.

-AR
    Actors make their living playing pretend, so why do we listen to them about how we should live in the real world?