Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Ethernet Cards/Two LANs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Setting up two network cards on one server

Hello all,

I am trying to get two network cards configured correctly. Right now they are both set up on DHCP and are given a permanent IP address from two different routers.

I have an Ubuntu Server with 2 network cards installed. Each is connected to a separate LAN. I have Samba set up to share files from server attached external drives to the two separate LAN's. That part seems to be working okay, other than file transfer is extremely slow (about 8 MB/s) even with all Gigabit components in the LAN and the drives connected via e-Sata.

I am running Squid on the Server also, and am using it as a proxy server for the 1st LAN.

Once I connected the cable to the 2nd LAN (without Squid as a proxy) I am no longer able to connect to the Internet from my clients through the proxy. I am not sure how I tell (or if I need to) the Server that only the 1st network card is connected to the Internet.

Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Setting up two network cards on one server

Whichever ones not connected to the internet you could try disabling DHCP on it. That's really all I can think of to tell the server its not "online"
    KDE SC 4.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Update:

How do I tell one network card to access the Internet and the other network card that it's local only? I'm thinking that will solve my problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

/etc/network/interfaces

You can setup your interfaces from there. can you post back the result of: cat /etc/network/interfaces
    KDE SC 4.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Two Ethernet Cards/Two LANs

First, the basics. I have:

2 - Satellite Provided Internet Systems
    2 - Routers
    1 - Ubuntu Server w/2 network cards
    48 - Clients on LAN1
    22 - Clients on LAN2
    4TB - Of shared media on server

I am very new to Ubuntu and somewhat new to networking. I know the basics of MAC addresses, IP addresses, etc. but not so much about port redirecting, port forwarding, etc.

Where I'm at right now:

I took a desktop computer, installed a second network card, reformatted the hard drive and installed Ubuntu Server 64 bit, installed Samba and Squid (more on those later).

My biggest problem seems to be configuring the network cards. They are both set to DHCP. They are both given a strict IP address from it's own router. They can both ping locally and client PC's can see the server (sometimes) on the network and connect always; except one guy but I think it's a problem on his end. The router on LAN2 is set to block Internet access to the server. That is fine because I want Internet traffic from the server to go through LAN2's router anyway. So DHCP seems to be working fine, but still no Internet connection to the server.

What I've done to try to fix the problem:

I tried creating an IP Table file, iptables.conf, that told all outbound traffic to eth1 (LAN2) to DROP. It was told to allow all incoming data from both cards and allow outgoing data to eth0 (LAN1) to be allowed. I inserted a pre-up statement into the /etc/network/interfaces file that said -

pre-up iptables-restore > /etc/iptables.conf

The only thing this did was made my attempted connection to the Internet from the server fail immediately.

What I'd like to do is configure the cards so that the LAN2 card (eth1) is local only on the server side, ie the clients will have a direct connection to the Internet through Router 2, but will be able to access the shares on the server. I'd like the LAN1 card (eth0) to be able to access the Internet. Do you know how to do this? I'm thinking that it's through iptable setup but I'm not 100% positive, as I've only been using Ubuntu for two weeks or less.

The funny thing is when I do sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart I get a slow Internet connection for just a few moments. I tried pinging Google and it got a response. Then shortly after it is gone.

Once I get the cards configured I'd like to use Squid as a proxy server. I believe Squid works fine because once LAN2 is disconnected the proxy works as advertised. An ideal situation would be where Squid could cache for both LAN's but I'd be happy with just one for now.

My final issue right now is with Samba. About 99% of the clients can connect to the shared folders on the server, but the connection is much slower than it was with Windows Server 2008. The gear is all gigabit ethernet and eSata drives so I believe steady transfer rates of 75+mb/s are realistic. We are averaging about 8-10mb/s now. Also, I administer the files from a Windows 7 machine and it seems to route all data that I move through my ethernet connection. Most of the shares are on one hard drive, but even moving data from one share to another share on the same drive the transfer rate is the same (8-10mb/s). Shouldn't it be almost instantaneous since it's just changing which directory it's in? Do you know how to configure the network/Samba so that it's optimum for sharing data from eSata external drives to all the clients?

Once I complete these things my server will be completely operational. I can post code if needed, just wasn't sure which code to post yet.

Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Two Ethernet Cards/Two LANs

Threads merged.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Any idea how to make a LAN Card access local only? No internet.... I'm thinking it has to do with routing or iptables, but I'm very new to Ubuntu so I'm not exactly sure.

Beans

The issue is likely that each is acquiring a default route via DHCP.

Show the output of netstat -nr when just the one is connected and it works, and also when both are connected and it's not working.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jondavidf View Post
    Any idea how to make a LAN Card access local only? No internet.... I'm thinking it has to do with routing or iptables, but I'm very new to Ubuntu so I'm not exactly sure.

Use static addressing on the second interface (or both) instead of DHCP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I tried changing to static IP address. I still couldn't ping router of LAN2 from server. So I changed to auto eth1 and dhcp. Then I edited the resolv.conf file by deleting the info for the LAN2 router and edited the routing table by removing the default gateway for eth1. The system appears to be working now with the changes below.

The netstat -nr now shows:

Kernel IP routing table
    Destination ..... Gateway ..... Genmask ..... Flags ..... MSS ..... Window ..... irtt .....Iface
    192.168.1.0 .... 0.0.0.0 ........ 255.255.255.0 U ......... 0 ......... 0 ................0 .......eth0
    192.168.0.0 .... 0.0.0.0 ........ 255.255.255.0 U ......... 0 ......... 0 ................0 .......eth1
    0.0.0.0 ........... 192.168.1.1 . 0.0.0.0 .......... UG ....... 0 ......... 0 ................0 .......eth0

/etc/resolv.conf shows:

nameserver 192.168.1.1

The /etc/network/interfaces shows:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    hwaddress ether 00:50:43:00:9c:7d

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp
    hwaddress ether 00:26:2d:1f:0e:09

Are there any other adjustments that I should make to optimize performance?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast