Thread: Can not find epiphany

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Can not find epiphany

I downloaded and installed the Epiphany Browser using the Synaptic Pagkage Manager with no problems except I can not find it. Talk about dumb. I looked in all the places I have looked before but to no avail. Suggestions? Thank You.

P.S. I searched thse forums and tried the suggestions and all I get when I launch or use the command line is the screen “Welcome to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS”. So I uninstalled and reinstalled and did a restart in preparation for any suggestions.

My System: Dual boot Ubuntu 8.04 (separate home folder) with XP on a HP COMPAQ nx9010 Notebook, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.66GHz, 706MB RAM, 40GB HDD, USB 2.0, CD-R Drive, Floppy Drive, 80GB External HDD. Single user for home use only.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Can not find epiphany

Hi,
    Sometimes we need to log out then log in again (or restart) for some menu entries to appear in the menu. What appears when you use the command epiphany-browser in the terminal? If all it is you are missing a shortcut, you can create a new one to point to /usr/bin/epiphany-browser (I think). You can use the command whereis epiphany-browser in the terminal to help locate it.

If the above doesn't help, there is also a game called epiphany which causes some of us (including myself once) to install the game (epiphany) and not the browser (epiphany-browser). If this is the case, then it is only a matter of uninstalling one, then installing the other, in synaptic package manager.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ankspo71; June 2nd, 2010 at 12:02 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks for your replay. All of the Epiphany names when executed give the 8.04 page as I stated and I have restarted many times. I was aware of the game and did avoid it. I have tried all the suggestions in this forums that I understood. Thanks again for your interest.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ityro View Post
    Thanks for your replay. All of the Epiphany names when executed give the 8.04 page as I stated and I have restarted many times.
    Yeah, it's probably set as the default start page for the browser. What exactly is the problem? Could you provide a screenshot?

Oh and by the way, your profile on Ubuntu Forums says you're using Ubuntu 7.10... you might want to update that.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The problem is obviously me. Having problems since I turned 70. Thanks.