Thread: i need graphical boot loader

Beans

i need graphical boot loader

I'm using 10.04 as in previous versions the default boot loader is in only text mode... I wan't nice graphical grub boot loader... How to apply this. Where to download.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: i need graphical boot loader

Hi,
    I never done this before but I found a link here:
    http://blogs.koolwal.net/2008/12/16/...splash-images/

I found it in here: (which has more ideas for you to try)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1182436
    Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

from what i understand, grub2 gives us the ability to have fancier graphical boot menus.

take a look at http://grub.gibibit.com/

Beans

A lot of this stuff is hands on with GRUB2.

You can specify just a background image and customize the text to use (and resolution) fairly easily. Its always a good idea to change your boot loader resolution to match your OS resolution whenever possible and if the hardware permits.

Changing Resolution

gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/00_header
    This should open your basic options for GRUB2. Find the following entry:

set gfxmode=640x480
    And change it to your desired graphic mode (ie: 1024x768). Remember, this value must match your image (below).

Image Background and Custom Colours

gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme
    In here browse downwards until you see:

for i in {/boot/grub,/usr/share/images/desktop-base}/moreblue-orbit-grub.{png,tga}
    This is the folders it will look for the image. Place your image in /boot/grub in case the boot loader cannot access your user/share folder.

This is the name of your file - ie: for Picture12.jpg, you would put Picture here.

These are the allowed types, so if you want to use a jpg, add it to the list.

So - lets say I added Picture12.jpg to /boot/grub. The picture should be the size of the bootloader window (640x480 by default I believe). I would change this line to read:

for i in {/boot/grub,/usr/share/images/desktop-base}/Picture12.{png,tga,jpg}
    So far so good? Okay, but now that we've added a picture, it will change the GRUB menu colours. We need to adjust this next - scroll down more. Make sure you keep that dot in the filename. If the image doesnt show on a reboot - it means you made a mistake in this line, the image is incompatible, or the file couldnt be found.

if background_image `make_system_path_relative_to_its_root ${bg}` ; then set color_normal=black/black set color_highlight=light-red/black
    In foreground / background format. In my case my screen is dark for the .JPG so I changed this to read:

if background_image `make_system_path_relative_to_its_root ${bg}` ; then set color_normal=white/black set color_highlight=light-red/black
    Easy enough, so now you have custom colours and a custom image.

Now we just need to tell it to update itself:

9.04/9.10:
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    10.04:
    sudo update-grub2
    And voila! Now, if you want to get more complex than that - your going to really need to dig into GRUB2 - I dont think there is a quick utility for it at the moment.

The more advanced changes you should be able to pick up here and there. Someone placed a link to a handy website - it has some example code you can preview - but I imagine (because there isn't an all-in-one utility at the moment) you might be better off doing it by hand.

- Lloyd
    Last edited by KermEd; June 2nd, 2010 at 03:48 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

@ KermEd, to use sudo with any grapical process (in this case gedit), gksudo (or gksu) should be used. Please check the RootSudo link and refer to the Graphical Sudo section down the page a bit. You may need to edit your commands given where necessary.

Note that normal terminal commands are fine with sudo though.

Cheers.

Beans

Thanks Yeti,

I've only been using it about a week and a half. I wondered what that difference was.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by KermEd View Post
    Thanks Yeti,
    You're welcome.