Thread: Good website design principle or am I a luddite?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Good website design principle or am I a luddite?

As someone who uses the NoScript add-on for Firefox, I've noticed that it seems that virtually every website now uses Javascript/Java/or Flash -- often on mission-critical items such as menus or even just to display the page. It seems to me that those elements should be minimized and only used when absolutely necessary (such as in video, etc.); items for navigation, etc. should just be basic HTML. Am I just an extremist, or does anyone else agree with me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Good website design principle or am I a luddite?

No, I agree. I prefer most of the pages being pure HTML and formatted with CSS, and then use javascript/java/flash to add to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

With a well-designed site, you should always have a LOW BANDWIDTH button that turns off scripts and large graphics.
    Patrick McSwain - New 32bit & 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 user as of 5/1/2010.
    Networking new Linux computers into my existing Wintel-based small technical business.
    I was a DOS programmer in a previous life. No UNIX/Linux experience at all.

Beans

Last edited by JDShu; June 2nd, 2010 at 01:27 AM. Reason: wrong thread :/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Being that this is a Linux forum, I think you'll find that most agree.
    The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing at all, for certain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I agree with you. I never use javascript on my webpages unless I absolutely have to. I don't even bother using javascript for IE fixes.

Beans

It depends on the type of site IMO. Websites that display static/non-interactive data should be done without scripts. Scripts can add to the experience (i.e. Lightbox frames for image galleries, auto-hiding menus, etc...) but the basics should all work without scripts.

Web applications are an entirely different matter; they're web sites that require/expect user interaction. This requirement in turn necessitates the use of scripts/dynamic content. For such websites I'd say it's forgivable to require scripts for navigation and such, since without them the user won't be able to use the site anyway. Ideally you should include a <noscript> tag that contains instructions to enable scripts and/or a link back to a previous page that does not require scripts.
    GCS/O d+(-@) s: a-->? C(++) UL P+ L+++@ E@
    W++$ N++ !o K++ w(++) !O M(-) !V PS+(++)
    PE-() Y+ PGP++ t++(+++@)* 5++ X++@ R+++@
    tv+ b++(+++) DI++ D+ G+ e++>++++ h- r y?

Beans

I find it really annoying when viewing comments requires javascript (engadget and gizmodo for example). Even if its to protect from spambots, its really annoying.

Only use javascript when necessary (and avoid flash/java at all costs).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Using javascript like Jquery and mootools, you can do very subtle "animation" which are not heavy at all. Infact a site with some javascript can really enchance a site...if you do it well.

Using JS won't make your site look good if you are a bad designer...but if you are a competant web designer, the extra touch you give your site will make it perfect.

If anybody even look at web blogs of web designers you will probably see reference to his site...

http://www.sohtanaka.com/web-design-blog/

Look at the header (Home, blog, portfolio etc) and the footer an unordered list menu just mouse over them.