Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help identifying my video card?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Help identifying my video card?

I don't have my video card registering in ubuntu 10.04 (or any of the previous 4 versions, for that matter; I'm just getting around to this)

Here's the output of lspci:

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 651 Host (rev 02)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
    00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS962 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 25)
    00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus Controller
    00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
    00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
    00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
    00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
    00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
    00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
    00:06.0 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k HSFi Modem (rev 01)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 65x/M650/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter
    Any help?

The computer is old, so I won't be surprised if there's nothing available anymore.
    Last edited by ispy; June 2nd, 2010 at 12:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Help identifying my video card?

http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/sh....php?t=1248930

It looks like there is no DRI support, though I think 2D should still work, though it doesn't sound promising.

-Chris

Beans

Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 65x/M650/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter.

I believe this is an integrated (onboard) video chip that leads to a d-sub
    connector soldered to your motherboard, to which you connect your VGA display.

You don't have a video card.

Have you opened the case to see what your VGA cable is actually connected to?

If it's an old computer then you could get by with just about any older dedicated graphics card that your motherboard would support.
    You may have a card in another computer, or a friend that has one gathering dust. It would get you by until you build your new system.
    Choose an geforce or radeon, either one. Don't go hog-wld and buy the latest thing that in all appearances your system should support, because
    it no doubt has an old bios that may not support the latest PCI 1.0 x 16 or the last of the AGP card produced. Try to find a working used card
    from a friend.
    Last edited by drreed; June 2nd, 2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: add a solution
    I could sit around and click "comment" all day. Instead, I'll help bring the Internet to it's knees with this signature, and a fresh download of Lucid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That would explain why it's so slow. It's not actually my computer, so I can't open it up, but what you said is consistent with what I've seen in the documentation.

Do you know if there's a proprietary driver or anything I need to install? Or is it built into the kernel already?

Beans

It should work with the xserver-xorg-video-sis package, but you wont get any 3D, etc.

Virtually anything would be better..if you've got a desktop machine, se if you can find a video card to fit it. I'd think it was desktop but you've got a conexant modem installed.....I spose it still copuld be a desktop, but if it was me, I'd be removing that useless thing straight away

Quote Originally Posted by drreed View Post
    Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 65x/M650/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter.

I believe this is an integrated (onboard) video chip that leads to a d-sub
    connector soldered to your motherboard, to which you connect your VGA display.

You don't have a video card.

Have you opened the case to see what your VGA cable is actually connected to?
    People tend to use 'card' for onboard video as well.

BTW, you dont need to open the case, you can tell from the position of the VGA port- if it is parallel to the case, in with the USB/parallel/serial/ethernet/ps/2 etc ports, etc and close to the edge of the case then its onboard (in most cases). If its 90degrees to the motherboard, and has the destinctive makings of a slot around it, its a card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@cbrunhaver Oh, that explains it. Alright, never mind. Time to upgrade the ram, since the owner isn't ready to scrap the computer yet. All she does with it is watch videos anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's impossible to find a 32 bit video card on newegg, so I looked around and found this.

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Sapphire...00546-95547614

Worth it? What significant improvement will I see if I install this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ispy View Post
    It's impossible to find a 32 bit video card on newegg, so I looked around and found this.

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Sapphire...00546-95547614

Worth it? What significant improvement will I see if I install this?
    32bit video card? :S Umm.....you probably want an AGP card (like the 9100 you linked above). As for that card, its out of ther frying pan, into the fire. The ATI 9XXX cards have no support from ATI anymore, and untill the open source drivers get a fair bit more work done to them, there will be no 3D there either.

It would be an improvement over the SiS video, if only because you would get a bit more memory back (no more RAM sharing). But you would be better of with something like this-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125249

A GF6200. Actually has current drivers.

Its just a pity that AGP cards are so expensive now, a PCIe card with more features, power etc is cheaper .

*edit- check you actually have an AGP slot before you go buying stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have an AGP slot, but it only supports 66Mhz, 32 bit cards. This is a very old computer.

It also has 2 PCI slots, but I need to check if those are available.

*edit: Looks like only one PCI slot is used.

Beans

All AGP slots are 66Mhz, 32bit (there was a draft for 64bit AGP but it never came out).

The main issue yo will have with AGP is if its 1x, 2x, 4x or 8x. The original 1x and 2x solts were 3.3 volts, 4x was 1.5 volts, and 8x was 0.8 volts.

What motherboard is it exactly? if you go console and enter-

sudo lshw

you will get the motherboard model, eg-

Code:
    *-core
           description: Motherboard
           product: MS-7388
           vendor: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
           physical id: 0
           version: 1.0
           serial: To be filled by O.E.M.
           slot: To Be Filled By O.E.M.