Thread: Custom UFW rules and google earth

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Custom UFW rules and google earth

I have an issue that it seems quite a few people are having also with google earth in ubuntu 10.04, and google earth not being able to login to the google server as mentioned in the thread...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1367651

As i have mentioned in that thread this only came about after installing 10.04, I had zero problems running the exact same version of google earth under 9.04 (jaunty), the error message that GE gives points to a help article from google

http://earth.google.com/support/bin/...&answer=117452

which is not really helpful at all, apart from mentioning about adding rules to your firewall to allow google earth to connect to certain servers on port 80. I thought I'd download GUFW to try an add rules but see no way to add rules on a per application basis unlike what I have been used to in windows with the likes of comodo (except for a few seemingly pre-defined torrent apps in a drop down in gufw).
    Is it possible, using the terminal, to add google earth to connect to

on port 80
    as google's help points out, and if so how do I do this?
    "If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem"
    Ubuntu user # 18845
    >>My 3D Landscape renders on dA<<

Beans

Re: Custom UFW rules and google earth

Unless you are filtering outbound connections, there is no reason for connections to those servers to be filtered by iptables, so there is no reason to allow it. Iptables cannot filter by application. There is no actively supported application firewall for linux that I know of. There is simply not much demand for such a tool, since linux users typically don't need to worry about malware or spyware.
    Code:
    nc -z -v -w 5 kh.google.com 80
    nc -z -v -w 5 geo.keyhole.com 80
    nc -z -v -w 5 auth.keyhole.com 80
    Where did you install google earth from?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cdenley View Post
    There is simply not much demand for such a tool, since linux users typically don't need to worry about malware or spyware.
    Code:
    nc -z -v -w 5 kh.google.com 80
    nc -z -v -w 5 geo.keyhole.com 80
    nc -z -v -w 5 auth.keyhole.com 80
    Where did you install google earth from?
    Basically thats exactly the impression I have always had, one of the reasons I've 95% dithched windows, but for some reason 10.04 will not initialize any connection to google earth servers, and the error message given points to the link I mentioned, which after going through the options given (even after selecting NO to "are you using windows") gives a useless answer. I looked into ufw manual, even created an app profile for google earth and gave it full, totally unrestricted inward or outward access and still get this issue (have since removed the rule).
    the version of GE currently installed is the 5.1 from the software center, but have tried removing it (along with the folders in my home directory) and installing through package manager (same version), then uninstall/re-install from google directly, and also through the googleearth make package. basically i've installed via Every documented "official" method, and even given full 'allowed' (and of course since it didn't work revoked any rules) hasn't made any difference.
    A few days ago I was running Ubuntu 9.04 on the SAME machine, running the SAME version of google-earth on the SAME internet connection with zero issues, and after doing a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 I cannot use google-earth, despite any others having this issue, even google don't have a solution
    Last edited by n1ght5t4lk3r; June 2nd, 2010 at 08:35 PM.
    Ubuntu user # 18845

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do you know for sure that the issue is on the client side? It seems to me that the connection should be allowed out with no problem, and especially so in the case where you created rules to allow it in and out no matter what. Is it possible that this is a server-side issue on Google's end? Does connection to the server require authentication?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by OpSecShellshock View Post
    Does connection to the server require authentication?
    its the free version so no user inputed authentication required.

@ cdenley...

here are the outputs as you requested,

Code:
    *****@*****:~$ echo -e "POST /geauth HTTP/1.0\nHost: kh.google.com\n"|nc -q 1 -w 5 kh.google.com 80|head
    HTTP/1.0 411 Length Required
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Length: 1363
    Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 07:34:57 GMT
    Server: GFE/2.0

<html><head>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8">
    *****@*****:~$ apt-cache policy googleearth-package
    googleearth-package:
      Installed: 0.5.7
      Candidate: 0.5.7
      Version table:
     *** 0.5.7 0
            500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/multiverse Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    *****@*****:~$ apt-cache policy googleearth
    googleearth:
      Installed: 5.1.3533.1731-0medibuntu1
      Candidate: 5.1.3533.1731-0medibuntu1
      Version table:
     *** 5.1.3533.1731-0medibuntu1 0
            500 http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid/non-free Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    As I've said a couple of times the thing I don't get is the very same version worked fine for me a few days ago on Jaunty, on the same computer, same internet connection, the only one factor that has changed is I am now using Lucid (from a fresh install)
    Ubuntu user # 18845

Beans

Well, you can connect to their server fine, so messing with firewalls won't help. You don't seem to have the most current version, though. Either update your package index then upgrade googleearth from the medibuntu repo (if you have it enabled), or run
    Code:
    make-googleearth-package --download
    (this will take longer)

Beans

What version of googleearth-package are you using? Are you installing from a third party repository? If I can reproduce your problem, I might be able to fix it. It works fine for me, though. What is the output from the commands I gave? Have you attempted to configure a firewall? Are you using a web filter. Post the output for these commands as well.
    Code:
    echo -e "POST /geauth HTTP/1.0\nHost: kh.google.com\n"|nc -q 1 -w 5 kh.google.com 80|head
    apt-cache policy googleearth-package
    apt-cache policy googleearth
    Last edited by cdenley; June 2nd, 2010 at 09:53 PM.