Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: installation of 10.04 with RAID1+Encryption fails

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: installation of 10.04 with RAID1+Encryption fails

Well if it did then anyone could easily change your password by logging in as root, or with a livecd, or in recovery mode, soooooooo it would be best to have the encrypted partition use a different way of unencrypting itself.

erm... so home encryption does give a false impression of security?

when i enter my login password (10chars) it seems the computer has access to the plain passphrase (which i got asked for on first login) which in turn unencrypts the home directory. thus my encryption is only 10chars strong?
    i know everyone can mess with my system if he has physical access to it, but if the computer gets stolen my files are at least encrypted. in this case only weakly though.
    Last edited by jomex; June 2nd, 2010 at 01:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You seam to understand. The encryption will never be cracked in very long time but the password however can. As long as you have a decent password with different characters then even that would take awhile to crack. it goes something like this, you choose 10 characters from a total of 94 (give or take) to form your password.

So lets say they find out its ten characters long so they set there machine to try and crack it. That machine has to try 94 different times just for a 1 character password. So a 2 character password would have 8836 combinations to crack. Then so on until your 10 character password which would take 53861511409489970176 guesses with one of them being your password. lol However though people often profile you. This means they find out what they can about anything that has any special interest to you. Like your mothers maiden name, your high school, your partners full name, kids, address, what sports you like and so on until they can basically just guess what you would use for your password. They also can do things like "they like the Chicago Bears, but we tried that so lets try "ch1c4g08*4rsR#1"" This would be significantly faster then brute forcing a password.

Sorry for the long essay, but very long story short, if your password is something guessable then change it to something completely random, do not use that password for anything else, and never tell anybody it and you can enjoy a nice secure encrypted computer.
    Last edited by acrazyplayer; June 2nd, 2010 at 05:28 PM.

i know. but why do i have to enter a passphrase on first boot for home directory encryption? login password => decrypts passphrase => decrypts home directory, thus the passphrase is useless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well you could try this. change your user password by typing "sudo passwd user" insert your user name where it says user. then type in some different password and reboot. when it goes to log you in *hopefully* it either asks for 2 passwords or the /home will not be decrypted. both would be good considering no one would be able to get into it without knowing your original password. However if the /home is decrypted with the new password then it all does seam a little worthless...

Oh and if something goes wrong then simply change your password back by doing the same steps as above.

good idea.
    i just did that and i get full access to the home directory by only entering the login password.
    Last edited by jomex; June 3rd, 2010 at 08:45 PM.

i just generated a new user with home encryption and it turns out that i entered the wrong password at "Home Encryption -> Run This Action Now" which left me with no error message and also no randomkey.
    i think the home encryption is done on the whole home directory (contrary to what the wiki says), the password is just the user login (=> weak) and there is no second password after all.

thanks for all your help acrazyplayer

i think when i use a strong password for my user and create a separate super-user with a weak password i should get what i want:
    * strong encryption on home
    * long password at login
    * short password for su
    Last edited by jomex; June 3rd, 2010 at 09:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12