Thread: HELP with Huawei E156G Modem on 10.04

Beans

HELP with Huawei E156G Modem on 10.04

hi please i use 10.04 LTS ubuntu variant and a Huawei Usb Modem ( E156G)

i have since noticed that the only way i can get network manager to recognise the modem and be able to dial up from network manager is when i plug in the modem before starting the system, or when i reboot with the modem plugged in!

it works fine when it dials, but whenever it disconnects, or i remove it and plug it back in, it will not be recognised by network manager, the notification thingy will pop up but i cant find it in network manager.

i have tried to restart network manager but to no avail.
    i have also tried to install usbmodeswitch, but it made no difference (mind the modem worked without modeswitch anyway)

please i need help. i cant be restarting my pc, right in the middle of important work all the time.
    life's a lesson, live and LEARN!
    the cure to the 1st bug! is UBUNTU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HELP with Huawei E156G Modem on 10.04

did you run any commands from a mobile internet setup guide?
    I had exactly the same problem after trying anything to get my mobile internet working, I knew what had happened but instead of trying to fix it I just reinstalled Ubuntu!
    type this command in terminal to check if 'usbserial' module is loaded at start-up or when you plug in the dongle.
    Code:
    lsmod

Beans

Smile Re: HELP with Huawei E156G Modem on 10.04

I have exactly the same problem! I also installed usb-modeswitch, but the haphazard recognition of the usb dongle has continued. I have resigned myself to restarting the computer with the huawei dongle connected! Frustrating, though, as I like Ubuntu 10.04!