Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install Lucid on an iBook g4 1.3 Ghz 12"

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Install Lucid on an iBook g4 1.3 Ghz 12"

Good morning.

I have a G4 800, early 2004. I've used Kubuntu 7.04, no problems. Now, when I try install 10.04, it can't format HD. With 8.04 is the same problem. The HD is fine (both 7.04 and original OSX can format it easyly). I tryed format with 7.04 before install 10.04 with no results. I think the problem is with the s.m.a.r.t. instructions that HD don't support, but I can't disable them in the installer.
    Can you help me?

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crazyphysicist View Post
    Hi, on running #patch p1 < ../patch-2.6.34-pf1
    I get nothing but "HUNK Failed at..." for each entry is this supposed to happen?
    I lost a couple newbie hours on this issue myself. I wrongly assumed the 'p1' was related to the file's name; finally I looked up the patch command. As 'pnum' is a command option, there is a critical missing dash in sha.goyjo's instructions:

Code:
    #patch -p1 < ../patch-2.6.34-pf1
    The above should work.

Beans

sha.goyjo: Now that my machine is fully functional, I wanted to let you know that this guide was absolutely indispensable. I compiled the kernel with 2.6.34-pf6, which appears to work great. I used the system for a couple days before bothering with your xorg.conf; the change when I started using it was pleasantly dramatic.

I had only 2 major problems. One was the typo described above. The other was rather more annoying--I used update manager after having compiled the custom kernel, and the damn thing installed its own kernel updates. I didn't catch the problem, and my boot sequence got caught in some kind of never-ending loop. I ended up starting from scratch with a new Ubuntu installation (there may be a simpler fix for that, but I didn't have alternate internet access to look one up). In a sense the problem still exists as I forgot to run update manager before my second kernel compile--I was careful once I did run it to uncheck the kernel-related files, but they're still listed, waiting for this dumb newbie to make a mistake. Is there a way to make them disappear from the list so I won't accidentally install them later?

Many thanks again for your excellent guide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Does it work with a 1.2 ghz ppc g4 ?
    Last edited by coolman98; July 11th, 2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: for a word
    You may be root, but I am the tree.

Beans

That's what I'm using; I'm very happy with it so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Alright ya'll, sorry for the lapse in posting (and adding your points of clarity/fixin to the guide). I'll get those in as quick as I can.

DMillard10, I'm a little confused at your need for the safe-upgrade. Was there anything odd about your update? apt-get update command updates the repository lists, so after that you should be able to install cpudyn without the need for the safe-upgrade.

pkmgarf, as to your question about the low latency choice, it's mostly a personal choice thing. Since I used the laptop for primarily single operation at a time situations, I rarely find I need to be running multiple services with a great deal of cpu cycles. Add to this the fact that most macs run with very low latency in OSX and I thought it would be a good idea. My first inclusion of the 1000hz clock into my powerpc mac kernels was at somebody else's advisement, and I have had great luck with them.
    Last edited by sha.goyjo; July 12th, 2010 at 07:00 PM.
    Systems: MacBook Pro 5,5 | MacBook 3,1 | Compaq ML330 G2 | And misc. other desktop systems
    My Blog (tech, politics, life): http://leftofrightrightofleft.wordpress.com
    Annapolis Computer Help IT Consulting ETC...http://www.lighthousesolutions.info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by JBWilliams View Post
    sha.goyjo: Now that my machine is fully functional, I wanted to let you know that this guide was absolutely indispensable. I compiled the kernel with 2.6.34-pf6, which appears to work great. I used the system for a couple days before bothering with your xorg.conf; the change when I started using it was pleasantly dramatic.

I had only 2 major problems. One was the typo described above. The other was rather more annoying--I used update manager after having compiled the custom kernel, and the damn thing installed its own kernel updates. I didn't catch the problem, and my boot sequence got caught in some kind of never-ending loop. I ended up starting from scratch with a new Ubuntu installation (there may be a simpler fix for that, but I didn't have alternate internet access to look one up). In a sense the problem still exists as I forgot to run update manager before my second kernel compile--I was careful once I did run it to uncheck the kernel-related files, but they're still listed, waiting for this dumb newbie to make a mistake. Is there a way to make them disappear from the list so I won't accidentally install them later?

Many thanks again for your excellent guide.
    You can do what I do. Go into synaptic and just uninstall the default kernel packages. That way they won't update. I find the PF kernel to be stable enough for production use.
    Systems: MacBook Pro 5,5 | MacBook 3,1 | Compaq ML330 G2 | And misc. other desktop systems
    My Blog (tech, politics, life): http://leftofrightrightofleft.wordpress.com
    Annapolis Computer Help IT Consulting ETC...http://www.lighthousesolutions.info

Beans
    Distro

I can't get the wireless to work help?

Beans
    Distro

I can't get the wireless to work help!

Beans
    Distro

never mind thanks for the tutorial I bought an ibook just for getting ubuntu on it 125$ ebay !

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast