Thread: no LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Beans

Thumbs down no LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I'm having a problem in linking a simple C application - it may be that I'm just getting too old and forgetful or it may be a system bug - either way I'd appreciate a little help.

The appliction in question is a simple program to query and modify an sqlite3 database. Because I need to use the median aggregate function, I can't use standard Sqlite3 binaries. The code itself is ok ( Ive written similar a couple of years ago for a 64bit Hardy system). I'm still using the same box now (amd64bit) but am using Lucid lynx as the OS.

The program compiles fine with:
    gcc -o normalizer normalizer.c -Wall -W -O2 -Wl,-R/usr/lib -lsqlite3

but the linker returns:
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsqlite3

However, the are definitely copies of the sqlite3.so in both /usr/lib and /usr/64bit/lib

A search of the internet produced a mas of similar bugs on launchpad e.g.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/366728

If I do a printenv, there is no LD_LIBRARY_PATH set

question(s)

a) is this the source of my problem or am I missing something simple.

b) is there a "quick fix" such that I can link this app?

Any help much appreciated.

Bouncingwilf.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: no LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Unless you are using a non-standard library package, you should have no need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH. If you want to check whether you just have a bad library installation, then export LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the shell instance in which that you are about to run gcc and see whether gcc can link the binary. For libraries installed in /usr/lib, it should not be the case that this helps, since that path should already be part of the standard gcc library search path.

Which versions of libsqlite3* do you have installed? Run 'dpkg -l libsqlite3*' and post the output. On my 10.04 system, I have:
    Code:
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name           Version        Description
    +++-==============-==============-============================================
    ii  libsqlite3-0   3.6.22-1       SQLite 3 shared library
    ii  libsqlite3-dev 3.6.22-1       SQLite 3 development files
    Both of these have to be installed to build (the -dev package) and run (the -0 package) applications that link against libsqlite3.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: no LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Many thanks, I had omitted to install the development files - entirely my own fault - I must be going senile!.

Bouncingwilf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Re: no LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Williams View Post
    Unless you are using a non-standard library package, you should have no need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH. If you want to check whether you just have a bad library installation, then export LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the shell instance in which that you are about to run gcc and see whether gcc can link the binary. For libraries installed in /usr/lib, it should not be the case that this helps, since that path should already be part of the standard gcc library search path.

Which versions of libsqlite3* do you have installed? Run 'dpkg -l libsqlite3*' and post the output. On my 10.04 system, I have:
    Code:
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name           Version        Description
    +++-==============-==============-============================================
    ii  libsqlite3-0   3.6.22-1       SQLite 3 shared library
    ii  libsqlite3-dev 3.6.22-1       SQLite 3 development files
    Both of these have to be installed to build (the -dev package) and run (the -0 package) applications that link against libsqlite3.
    Hi, apparently exporting LD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't work anymore in 10.04.
    Are you sure about this?
    Because I'm trying to test some dev .so and I can't use LD_LIBRARY_PATH anymore to make mplayer load them.

Cheers,