Thread: FOSS Wii-Fit-alike?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Lightbulb FOSS Wii-Fit-alike?

Guitar Hero is to Frets on Fire as Wii Fit is to ... ?

I'm looking for a fun FOSS fitness program, preferably cross-platform, but I haven't been able to find any projects in this direction. Are there any under development?

So far the closest approximation I've found is Dolphin - dolphin-emu.com - a Wii emulator. I *think* that with Dolphin I should be able to: legally purchase Wii Fit (software + balance board) and a Wiimote, create an image of the Wii Fit software (with a friend's Wii + homebrew?) and run it through Dolphin.

But I'd prefer to limit my purchases to just hardware (e.g. Wii accessories) and FOSS the rest.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: FOSS Wii-Fit-alike?

Quote Originally Posted by thekwill View Post
    Guitar Hero is to Frets on Fire as Wii Fit is to ... ?

I'm looking for a fun FOSS fitness program, preferably cross-platform, but I haven't been able to find any projects in this direction. Are there any under development?

So far the closest approximation I've found is Dolphin - dolphin-emu.com - a Wii emulator. I *think* that with Dolphin I should be able to: legally purchase Wii Fit (software + balance board) and a Wiimote, create an image of the Wii Fit software (with a friend's Wii + homebrew?) and run it through Dolphin.

But I'd prefer to limit my purchases to just hardware (e.g. Wii accessories) and FOSS the rest.

Any suggestions?

Dolphin would work just fine, and you can make an ISO image of the Wii Fit software using any DVD-ROM drive. However, the balance board... I do knot know if there are any Linux drivers for it, as it is a rather obscure piece of hardware, and as for FOSS fitness software... it is rather unlikely, I'm afraid. If I had more time on my hands I'd be willing to experiment with such things but I'm afraid you'll have to turn to Google and in-depth forum trawling to scour some better answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: FOSS Wii-Fit-alike?

Regarding the Balance Board, this looks promising, but I'd have to see if it'd be able to talk to Dolphin: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/linux-wii-balanceboard/