Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fan speed / fan throttle / fan always on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Fan speed / fan throttle / fan always on

David,

Thank you very much for your support! I am sorry to say that I have been unable to get this issue fixed and - after a lot of frustration - decided to purchase and install a copy of Windows 7. Although I'd really would have liked to switch to Linux, I guess its still a work in progress and not ready for the mainstream user like myself.

I might check on Ubuntu 10.10 to see if the issues with the fan/ACPI have been resolved. However for now I'll stick with Windows 7 - even if it was only because otherwise it would be a waste of my $199,- costing copy of Windows 7 .

KR, Erik

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've been seeing the same issue with the fans going full blast always (even when the system isn't loaded and core temps are low). I think in my case it's more of a hardware limitation than a software issue, the case fans are all three pin type (four pin connectors are needed for the motherboard to control the fan speed). I'd upgrade the fans but my motherboard has mostly three pin connectors too.

I do have a low tech solution that might also be useful to anyone fighting the same driver issues - just solder a resistor in series with the 12 volt supply to the fan. Or if you feeling lazy (as I was) you can order a few of these: http://www.mnpctech.com/7volt_Resist...r_Fan_Mod.html.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davidmohammed View Post
    ... what acpi_osi= options have you tried?

acpi_osi="!Windows 2006"
    acpi_osi="Windows 2006"
    acpi_osi="Linux"
    acpi_osi="Windows 2001 SP2"

possibly your HP is affected by this issue?

Hello..

which file do I edit / sudo / gedit to edit the above details...

(pretend i don't know what the above means)

Beans
    Hidden!

You want /etc/default/grub

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hello all,

I am an asus U33j user, and I have this same problem since I moved from WIN7 to Ubuntu 10.04. and for me it is a very big waste of power during the operation time.
    did anyone tried the next versions of Ubuntu like 10.10 or even 11.04?

I believe that you guys, like me, don't like to get back to Windows after you get rid of it!

Greeings,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hey,
    I think i found the solution for some types of PCs, it is a small sys-tray applet called "Eee Applet" and can be installed from the software center.
    it gives you the options to control the speed of your fan and adjust it to many options
    It works fine on my Asus, try it and tell me what do you think..
    Regards,

Beans
    Hidden!

AFAIK, the high CPU usage, high temps, fans always on, etc. are due to bugs in older kernels. Can't remember exactly, I used to have the same problems until I compiled and installed the latest kernel.

More info here here:
    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16181
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...regress2&num=1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12