Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying new operating systems out

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Trying new operating systems out

I've decided to try out other operating systems.. something that installs just as easily as ubuntu.. and still maintains most if not all the great functionality. I'm going to list the ones I have so far:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SliTaz_GNU/Linux

I know pitiful huh? I blew through a bunch of other lists of os's and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Any Idea's as to what I can use? I'm not used to the 'configuration commands' , this: sudo apt-get blah blah.. that type of thing and although I've learned quite a bit, I'd prefer a(n) linux/unix based operating system that boots and installs as easily as ubuntu. Another words: please don't refer me to gentoo or another type of os that needs complicated configuration to install.
    Last edited by pr0t3g3; May 31st, 2010 at 07:12 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Trying new operating systems out

I would suggest sticking with Debian or debian based distros that have the Repositories. That way it's easy to install new programs.
    Help me out! Go make a dropbox account from this link to get me more space! https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTU2ODUyNDY5 (You get the bonus space too!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Why?

I am confused to your parameters for a different OS. Do you have an older machine? Are you limited on HDD space?
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel Pentium Dual-Core 2 GHz - 2GB Corsair Dominator - 500GB WD Caviar - EVGA 8600GT - Edimax Wireless LAN PCI Adapter - Samsung 22" SynchMaster

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

moved to the cafe

Use a virtual machine - you can try as many different ones as you you choose.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by forestpiskie View Post
    moved to the cafe

Use a virtual machine - you can try as many different ones as you you choose.
    How do I set up a virtual machine on ubuntu. I'd better do some research

Beans

Click here to install virtualbox (on ubuntu)
    apt://virtualbox-ose

This program is easy to set up a virtual machine. Just make the .iso image the target for the virtualbox cd drive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I use virtualbox - I also use the one from their site rather than the repo's version.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

You can add their repo if you want to get updates for it.

There's a manual here http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...UserManual.pdf

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by finlost View Post
    Why?

I am confused to your parameters for a different OS. Do you have an older machine? Are you limited on HDD space?
    I'm using a dell inspiron 8600 with nearly 500 mbs of ram and 1.5 gigs of swap ;D .. as for hdd... I don't know what you mean ^_^. Since my pc is a bit old, I'm going to need a light os.

Since my laptop's specs aren't that high is running a virtual box a good idea?? Will I have lag?

Beans

You need more than 500mb of RAM to run a virtual machine I think. As for a fast OS, try Debian. Once you get it set up it is great. Mine runs comfortably in 256mb of ram.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    You need more than 500mb of RAM to run a virtual machine I think. As for a fast OS, try Debian. Once you get it set up it is great. Mine runs comfortably in 256mb of ram.
    oh ok.. will I get to keep all my files, or should I save them to flash-drive, when I install it?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast