Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Can't seem to get gentoo.iso or any other os to load on my laptop

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    somewhere....
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Can't seem to get gentoo.iso or any other os to load on my laptop

    I can't seem to get gentoo, or any other os that I download to cd-r cds to load an operating system. I've tried multiple things:

    1. right click on the .iso, and select write to disk; it works but it wont load anything not even when I restart with disk in drive.

    2. Mounting with all kinds of .iso mounting programs.

    3. I tried to drag the file to the cd folder and click burn.


    All of those work - that is they copy straight to disk without any apparent errors... but it doesn't load anything!


    My current os is ubuntu 10.04 (lucid) running on an old dell inspiron 8600 (which works great with ubuntu)

    I know there must be a solution but I can't seem to find it; what am I doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Can't seem to get gentoo.iso or any other os to load on my laptop

    I would suggest you use Brasero to burn the iso. You don't want to burn the file to a cd.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    somewhere....
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Can't seem to get gentoo.iso or any other os to load on my laptop

    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I would suggest you use Brasero to burn the iso. You don't want to burn the file to a cd.
    ok.... so what do I burn it to?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Beans
    2,181
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Can't seem to get gentoo.iso or any other os to load on my laptop

    Quote Originally Posted by pr0t3g3 View Post
    ok.... so what do I burn it to?
    To a cd...

    What he meant is that you should not burn the FILE to a cd, you should use the option "burn image" in brasero (or any other cd writing program). An iso file is a copy of the entire file system that is supposed to be on the cd and does not work if you just copy the file itself to the cd.

    But to me it sounds that your first problem is that you don't know how to make your computer boot from a cd. You have to go into the bios and set the boot order to boot from cd.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    US
    Beans
    227
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Can't seem to get gentoo.iso or any other os to load on my laptop

    Open Brasero and choose Burn Image. Then select the .iso.
    EDIT: Damn, beaten.
    - Stay Gold

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    somewhere....
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Cool Re: Can't seem to get gentoo.iso or any other os to load on my laptop

    Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    To a cd...

    What he meant is that you should not burn the FILE to a cd, you should use the option "burn image" in brasero (or any other cd writing program). An iso file is a copy of the entire file system that is supposed to be on the cd and does not work if you just copy the file itself to the cd.

    But to me it sounds that your first problem is that you don't know how to make your computer boot from a cd. You have to go into the bios and set the boot order to boot from cd.
    ah I see... :\ I will try

    either I'm incredibly dense or this is STILL not working... it doesnt have the option to 'write image to disk'... not that I see anyway


    Edit: hmm never mind.. this is one of the things I did with my other ubuntu 10.04 .iso download.. it didn't work .. let's hope this one will work!
    Last edited by pr0t3g3; May 31st, 2010 at 05:30 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    somewhere....
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Cool Re: Can't seem to get gentoo.iso or any other os to load on my laptop

    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I would suggest you use Brasero to burn the iso. You don't want to burn the file to a cd.
    I've burned the image of ubuntu 10.04; but when I try to load it it doesn't do anything... and yes I used brasero

    I'm not sure if this is helpful or not but, I'm using a sony cd-r compact disk.... and it should have enough space as it's 700 mb

    -_-; why am I not surprised... it loaded this and nothing happened..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pr0t3g3; May 31st, 2010 at 05:43 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Beans
    2,181
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Can't seem to get gentoo.iso or any other os to load on my laptop

    Have you set your computer's bios to boot from cd?
    To get into the bios setup you must press a key (different for different computers) when you see the bios splash screen (the first few seconds after you turn on the power).
    Usually the bios splash screen tells you which key to press to get into setup, and some also tell you how to get a boot menu.
    If you find out which key to press to get a boot menu, use that and select your cd drive, otherwise go into the bios setup and look around for the boot order settings (again, different computers have different bioses, so I can't give you any exact details where to find this). Once you find it, make sure you set it to use the cd drive before the hard drive.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    somewhere....
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Question Re: Can't seem to get gentoo.iso or any other os to load on my laptop

    Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    Have you set your computer's bios to boot from cd?
    To get into the bios setup you must press a key (different for different computers) when you see the bios splash screen (the first few seconds after you turn on the power).
    Usually the bios splash screen tells you which key to press to get into setup, and some also tell you how to get a boot menu.
    If you find out which key to press to get a boot menu, use that and select your cd drive, otherwise go into the bios setup and look around for the boot order settings (again, different computers have different bioses, so I can't give you any exact details where to find this). Once you find it, make sure you set it to use the cd drive before the hard drive.
    ok.. did you see my last post? take a look at it again... I uploaded a screen shot
    That's a very good assessment... what DO I press to boot a bio's??

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Can't seem to get gentoo.iso or any other os to load on my laptop

    On the Dell boot screen it may tell you what to press to change the boot order, if not press the key to enter the bios setup, and change the boot order there.
    Last edited by cariboo; May 31st, 2010 at 05:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •