Hi there as the name suggests I am looking for an upstream kernel in hope that a few bugs are ironed out in my Lucid Kubuntu install.

I tried about 2 weeks ago to get a precompiled kerel from the upstream kernel PPA
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...0-04-14-lucid/

but the problem is that it was built with gcc 4.2 and lucid comes with gcc 4.4 a little bit sub-moronic considering that Lucid won't accept modules built with a different compiler.

I am also a little sub-moronic as I don't know how to tell if todays kernel is still being built with the 4.2 compiler, I downloaded the build.log file but I can't find any references to gcc 4.2 but as I said when I installed and tried build my Nvidia modules - no dice. it says it needs either a kernel built with gcc 4.4 or something else.

I would rebuild from scratch but I only have 1mb left for the next 10 days then my isp charges me 10c per meg, so I don't want to download the 400mb for the ncurses etc etc (thats the size it told me from aptitude to get just the additional packages and then i would need the kernel source...)

So can someone tell me if they are still using gcc 4.2, and why?

and does anyone know where there is an official prebuilt kernel 64bit built with gcc 4.4???? or is this just another great bug that I must put up with

cheers all

PS
I know the tone is one of a person who is a little hostile, but 9.10 on my laptop which is only half the machine my desktop is spec wise, runs smoother and faster without any - SATA / WiFi / half baked bugs that are a Lucid default. I apologise but come on Canonical Lift ur Game!