Thread: Firefox Search Localization

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Firefox Search Localization

I'm using Mozilla Firefox version 3.6.3 (the one that comes with Ubuntu 10.04). If I use the Search box (top right-hand pull-down box) for either Google or Amazon I get the US version of these, but I'm in the UK so would like to use the UK versions of these by default. In previous Firefox/Ubuntu versions I didn't get this problem. Is this a bug ?
    I set up 10.04 for UK settings and Language settings are set for English UK (see attached) but I always get Amazon.com (US) and Google.com (US) instead of Amazon.co.uk and Google.co.uk. I have the English Language pack installed (via System-Admin-Language support).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Firefox Search Localization

Google is driving me crazy with this, because even if I type http://www.google.com it redirects me to the local version. This happens in Firefox, Chrome and Opera, so is not a browser issue.

Additionally, Google is redirecting other Google services. For instance, when I access my Google account, it is displayed in Portuguese sometimes, even after setting the account options to use English.

I suspect Google is using ip geolocation. Nevertheless, it's weird since you are located in UK.

Anyway, see if this helps.

Also check the preference keyword.URL in about:config
    Last edited by lovinglinux; May 30th, 2010 at 05:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

In your Firefox address bar type about:config and in the page that appears if you search for google in the filter, you may find an entry like:-
    Code:
    browser.search.defaultenginename    default  string   www.google.co.uk
    but the word default in my system says user set as I have changed the default to www.google.co.uk.

Try that edit in your system as well and you may get the search engine you prefer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    In your Firefox address bar type about:config and in the page that appears if you search for google in the filter, you may find an entry like:-
    Code:
    browser.search.defaultenginename    default  string   www.google.co.uk
    but the word default in my system says user set as I have changed the default to www.google.co.uk.

Try that edit in your system as well and you may get the search engine you prefer.
    The preference browser.search.defaultenginename controls which search engine is displayed by default in the search bar when you start Firefox and the value is a name corresponding to one of the engines available in the searchbar list, not an URL. Besides, this only works if browser.search.selectedEngine is the default value, which means once you select a new engine from the list, Firefox will always start using that engine, even if the default engine is a different one. Please notice this doesn't affect the default engine of the address bar.

If you want to change what search engine Firefox uses when you type something in the address bar, then you have to modify the preference keyword.URL. Nevertheless, Google redirects the query on the server. This redirecting "feature" seems to be inconsistent, since sometimes I get google.com, sometimes I get google.com.br.

If you want to modify the Google search engine on the searchbar, install Add to Search Bar, then visit http://www.google.co.uk, right-click on the google search field and select "Add to Search Bar". You might want to delete the old one first.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    The preference browser.search.defaultenginename controls which search engine is displayed by default in the search bar when you start Firefox and the value is a name corresponding to one of the engines available in the searchbar list, not an URL. Besides, this only works if browser.search.selectedEngine is the default value, which means once you select a new engine from the list, Firefox will always start using that engine, even if the default engine is a different one. Please notice this doesn't affect the default engine of the address bar.

If you want to change what search engine Firefox uses when you type something in the address bar, then you have to modify the preference keyword.URL. Nevertheless, Google redirects the query on the server. This redirecting "feature" seems to be inconsistent, since sometimes I get google.com, sometimes I get google.com.br.

If you want to modify the Google search engine on the searchbar, install Add to Search Bar, then visit http://www.google.co.uk, right-click on the google search field and select "Add to Search Bar". You might want to delete the old one first.
    Thanks for that info LL, I didn't know, as is obvious from my answer. I never actually use that search box and have always used the googlebar lite add-on, much better in my opinion, and a lot more configurable according to your needs and wishes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've checked general.useragent.locale and that is set to en-GB (by default) and also changed distribution.searchplugins.defaultLocale to en-GB. I've changed the default search engine to google.co.uk, but with Google (UK) as soon as I click on shopping everything is shown for the US. All other searches are still for US sites.
    Thanks for the help so far, but this is a little annoying as it wasn't a problem in earlier versions of Firefox.
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather

Beans

I've noticed this too here in Australia using Ubuntu 10.04.
    Google searches using the search box default to google.com, however on numerous windows computers with Firefox, they all default to google Australia (just like Ubuntu did in previous versions).