Thread: Switch from Eeebuntu?

Beans

Switch from Eeebuntu?

Hello, I tried to search for existing threads with no luck (but I'm sure they're out there...) so help is very much appreciated.

I have this Asus Eee PC with Eeebuntu installed. For various reasons I'm getting a bit tired of the Eeebuntu-system and I'd rather change to a "normal" Ubuntu. So my main question is how do I do this? Since it has no CD-reader?

Also, should I be warned - it there a big problem with normal ubuntu on Eee-hardware? Like I said I'm tired of Eee, there are a couple of things that don't work, so in that case it must be strong arguments for not switching - not minor.

Sorry for bad English. And thanks.

EDIT: Model Eee PC 900, 16 GB SSD, 1 GB DDR2, Intel
    Last edited by jonkanon; May 30th, 2010 at 08:34 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Switch from Eeebuntu?

I have the same model of EeePC as you, and I've only ever run standard Ubuntu on it.

Currently I'm running 10.04. Yes, there are one or two minor things, such as some function keys (not all of them) not working and a tweak that I have to add to Grub to deal with a graphics problem. I haven't tested the microphone because I never use it, so can't comment on that. Nor have I used wireless for any length of time, either.

Ultimately, you need to test it for yourself. If you have a spare 4GB SD card, you can put it in the card slot and install to that. It will be a bit slow, but it should still give you an idea if it's going to work well enough for you. Once you are happy with that, you can install to the main drive.

To install, use unetbootin to create a bootable USB stick from the .iso image, and boot from that.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jonkanon View Post
    Hello, I tried to search for existing threads with no luck (but I'm sure they're out there...) so help is very much appreciated.

I have this Asus Eee PC with Eeebuntu installed. For various reasons I'm getting a bit tired of the Eeebuntu-system and I'd rather change to a "normal" Ubuntu. So my main question is how do I do this? Since it has no CD-reader?

Also, should I be warned - it there a big problem with normal ubuntu on Eee-hardware? Like I said I'm tired of Eee, there are a couple of things that don't work, so in that case it must be strong arguments for not switching - not minor.

Sorry for bad English. And thanks.

EDIT: Model Eee PC 900, 16 GB SSD, 1 GB DDR2, Intel
    Use A USB Flash Drive
    Or An External HDD
    SEX, Now that I have your attention please read my post
    Linux For Life
    Just for future purposes "You're Welcome"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

SEX, Now that I have your attention please read my post
    Linux For Life
    Just for future purposes "You're Welcome"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    I have the same model of EeePC as you, and I've only ever run standard Ubuntu on it.

Currently I'm running 10.04. Yes, there are one or two minor things, such as some function keys (not all of them) not working and a tweak that I have to add to Grub to deal with a graphics problem. I haven't tested the microphone because I never use it, so can't comment on that. Nor have I used wireless for any length of time, either.

Ultimately, you need to test it for yourself. If you have a spare 4GB SD card, you can put it in the card slot and install to that. It will be a bit slow, but it should still give you an idea if it's going to work well enough for you. Once you are happy with that, you can install to the main drive.

To install, use unetbootin to create a bootable USB stick from the .iso image, and boot from that.
    Microphones not working with Eee/Ubuntu is common.

To fix: there are two microphone 'channels' (or two microphones? I dk) you need to set one of them to 100%, and the other to 0%.
    There are probably many ways to do this, but one way is to install padevchooser, open the pulse audio vol control in Sound&Video, then unlock the sync between mic channels, and put one down to 0.