Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My little xsplash experiment

Beans

My little xsplash experiment

I am trying to get a version of 10.04 that runs with xsplash and its associated libs and so forth.

I do not know what I am doing unfortunately.

The plan is to have 3 OSs. 9.10, 9.01>10.04 upgrade, and 9.10>10.04 upgrade leaving xsplash et al in.

I had this under way on my single drive external enclosure but the HDD has died.

So I shifted to my sdb internal. I had 9.10 on there with some others. I installed 9.10 where I had 2 of the others.

I installed all my standard stuff on the 2 new ones and upgraded them to current. I also installed bootchart on all three and will try to put the 10.04 version on the 9.10 install if things go.

The one that is to be straight up 10.04 is just finishing up right now (chroot apt type dist-upgrade).

I have the upgrade and dist-upgrade lists.

I am going to change the the sources list on the other and just do the upgrade (tomorrow) and then see if it boots.

Then I plan on trying to do the dist-upgrade selectively.

Does anyone have a clue as to if I can do this in synaptic by freezing xsplash and it dependencies?

If this step works I intend to copy the bugger to my test platform and try to step it up to 10.10.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: My little xsplash experiment

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    I am trying to get a version of 10.04 that runs with xsplash and its associated libs and so forth.

I do not know what I am doing unfortunately.

The plan is to have 3 OSs. 9.10, 9.01>10.04 upgrade, and 9.10>10.04 upgrade leaving xsplash et al in.

I had this under way on my single drive external enclosure but the HDD has died.

So I shifted to my sdb internal. I had 9.10 on there with some others. I installed 9.10 where I had 2 of the others.

I installed all my standard stuff on the 2 new ones and upgraded them to current. I also installed bootchart on all three and will try to put the 10.04 version on the 9.10 install if things go.

The one that is to be straight up 10.04 is just finishing up right now (chroot apt type dist-upgrade).

I have the upgrade and dist-upgrade lists.

I am going to change the the sources list on the other and just do the upgrade (tomorrow) and then see if it boots.

Then I plan on trying to do the dist-upgrade selectively.

Does anyone have a clue as to if I can do this in synaptic by freezing xsplash and it dependencies?

If this step works I intend to copy the bugger to my test platform and try to step it up to 10.10.
    You might be able to uncheck the Plymouth updates in Update Manager when you make the dist upgrade. Maybe even in Synaptic too.

Beans
    Distro

I don't know if that will work , I think you would have to hack some debs to alter the depends .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    I don't know if that will work , I think you would have to hack some debs to alter the depends .
    I am getting to that idea too.

Haven't got the savvy for that. I do have the mountall deb for the one that doesn't depend on plymouth but do not think that extends to libplymouth2 and that is the real base of the problem.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Slug71 View Post
    You might be able to uncheck the Plymouth updates in Update Manager when you make the dist upgrade. Maybe even in Synaptic too.
    That is kind of my idea to try although I haven't used Update Mangler since Hardy.

What I am actually doing is mainly in chroot using apt but the principle is the same.

I take the list it gives and paste it to gedit and then go through and try to just do the ones that I think are safe.

I thought that all of them on the apt-get upgrade list were OK but can't boot through the normal entry. I haven't tried recovery yet. That is next.

If that doesn't work I may reinstall 9.10 and try it again after removing the desktop meta package.

Kind of beats me but I know that in 10.04 testing I was actually getting better boot times with xsplash right before it was changed to plymouth than I ever got after that. I do not have a clue as to if that would hold true later in testing or with the final release of 10.04.

The 10.10 stuff may not even be compatible at all. There seems to be a lot of seemingly (to me anyway) unrelated stuff that depends on plymouth. There were really few with xsplash and usplash.

That is one of the things that really worries me for the future with plymouth. The more stuff that depends on something that really doesn't run very long seems kind of dangerous to me. It seems safe to assume that folks that have problems may just be SOL as with Fedora (I can't even boot their CDs at all as the menu screen freezes when it comes up)..

Oh well I will whack at it some more just to see.

Thanks for the suggestion. If I reinstall I will definately be doing more in the OS and probably a good bit with synaptic.

Beans
    Distro

I think if I was going to try I would extract the current deb using archive manager and then edit out plymouth and libplymouth2 from the control file and the rebuild the deb , ofcourse be ready for complete destruction of your install . Theres a tool in synaptic somewhere for createing debs .

PS I have no Idea if that will work I am as lacking in savy about this as you are .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    I think if I was going to try I would extract the current deb using archive manager and then edit out plymouth and libplymouth2 from the control file and the rebuild the deb , ofcourse be ready for complete destruction of your install . Theres a tool in synaptic somewhere for createing debs .

PS I have no Idea if that will work I am as lacking in savy about this as you are .
    If I was real worried about ruining an install I don't think that I would enjoy testing very much.

I have gotten pretty good at rescuing the buggers with out reinstalling so maybe I am just doing this to have that opportunity more often. Maybe I need "professional help" with my mental health.

Nah, that wouldn't be any FUN. This is, even it it is time consuming.

Beans
    Distro

Heck theres 3things I n,ever claimed to be rich ,beautiful or sane

Beans

If you wish to run without libplymouth2 then you'll need to use a mountall that doesn't use it (key word use

That would mean 1.0 or 1.1 tops, after that no libplymouth, no boot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    If you wish to run without libplymouth2 then you'll need to use a mountall that doesn't use it (key word use

That would mean 1.0 or 1.1 tops, after that no libplymouth, no boot
    So I, somehow, have got to use the mountall from 9.10. I think this is going to prove impossible for me to do.

There is, however, only one way to find out.

I'll give it a whack.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast