View Poll Results: Do you want a Ubuntu Welcome Tour?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

58 47.93%
  • No

63 52.07%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you want an Ubuntu Welcome Tour?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Do you want an Ubuntu Welcome Tour?

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Is it during installation? Or is it an annoying pop-up the first time you log in?
    The annoying one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Wow look at the poll results so far, 10 vs 10, pretty inconclusive.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ssj6akshat View Post
    By welcome tour I mean an Interactive Tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssj6akshat View Post
    The annoying one.
    Like XP, which bugs you with a balloon, or worse, instead of the "Windows Starts Here" that came on CD for Win98SE?
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think the important thing is deciding whether or not we want it(I voted yes). We can discuss implementation afterwards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Like XP, which bugs you with a balloon, or worse, instead of the "Windows Starts Here" that came on CD for Win98SE?
    Well an interactive tour is one of those things thst sounds great in theory.

In practice, it's just annoying.

I remember well those Windows tours the first time you boot up. Average users would just close it because they found the pop-up annoying, even if they might have actually learned something, and power users would just close it because it is annoying, and they wouldn't have learned anything from it.

Same thing would happen with Ubuntu.

If you're power user enough to install Ubuntu yourself or want to buy it preinstalled, you'll either do the research you need to get it running or you'll quickly close the annoying "Welcome to Ubuntu" pop-up, even if you would benefit from it.

If you're an average user, there's no way you're getting Ubuntu by accident. Someone installed it for you. It's that person's job to explain it to you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Well an interactive tour is one of those things thst sounds great in theory.

In practice, it's just annoying.

I remember well those Windows tours the first time you boot up. Average users would just close it because they found the pop-up annoying, even if they might have actually learned something, and power users would just close it because it is annoying, and they wouldn't have learned anything from it.

Same thing would happen with Ubuntu.

If you're power user enough to install Ubuntu yourself or want to buy it preinstalled, you'll either do the research you need to get it running or you'll quickly close the annoying "Welcome to Ubuntu" pop-up, even if you would benefit from it.

If you're an average user, there's no way you're getting Ubuntu by accident. Someone installed it for you. It's that person's job to explain it to you.
    You could just have it as an entry in the Applications menu, maybe under accessories. That way, you could start it if you want to, or just ignore it, without being distracted by a popup.

Beans

Corrected language in poll
    This account is not active.

Beans

Well I think its a good idea to have a welcome tour of Ubuntu especially for new users. I think anything that helps new users to Ubuntu understand how it works and they can do is always a good thing.

The alternative is to publish a "Dummies guide to Ubuntu" for anyone wanting to use Ubuntu but are put off for any reason.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I think an interactive presentation for new users is a no-brainer. Why would you not want one?

If we could tackle certain relatively steep parts of the learning curve for first-time users, such as how to use the Software Centre and a general overview of the repo system, then it would make a much better first impression.

For all those people voting no, do you mean that you think first-time users shouldn't have this, or just that you don't want it for yourself? If it's the latter, then I think you're missing the point.

Beans

There is no good reason to incorporate a bad MS idea into Linux. It was one of the more annoying 'help' features in Windows. But then I think WINE is a bad ideas also, the further we get from MS the better.
    Last edited by ebasa; May 30th, 2010 at 01:41 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast