Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange DVD playback issue - The Community Cafe Edition

Beans

Re: Strange DVD playback issue - The Community Cafe Edition

Very strange! The only other thing I can think of that may cause the problem is that the Samsung DVDRW is recording at a much higher speed to what the computer DVDRW can read. But then you said they will play in other DVD players / computers.

It must be a problem with your computer / DVDRW drive!

Could you connect an external DVDRW drive to your computer to test if the disk works that way?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_junkie View Post
    Very strange! The only other thing I can think of that may cause the problem is that the Samsung DVDRW is recording at a much higher speed to what the computer DVDRW can read. But then you said they will play in other DVD players / computers.

It must be a problem with your computer / DVDRW drive!

Could you connect an external DVDRW drive to your computer to test if the disk works that way?
    Haven't connected an external yet, but have tried 2 different internal ones. I will borrow an external and try it.

I think everyone who is trying to help (THANK YOU ALL) is starting to see my frustration with this.
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Strange DVD playback issue - The Community Cafe Edition

This has been said already but it's probably a problem with the combination of media and drives being used.

I've been recently dealing with recordable DVDs and it turned out that from the stuff our local shop sells, one brand of rewritable DVDs is readable in my HTPC, the other not at all.

In my case it's a Sony-Nec (Optiarc) DVD Writer and it won't even read Sony's own brand DVD-RW discs once I used the external recorder fill them with data. Wife's lappy on the other hand has no issue with them and it has an older drive.

My suggestion: try burning different media.
    Eternally confused.

Beans
    Hidden!

I would try different disks, first. (Different brand, etc.)

It sounds to me like there is something proprietary that the samsungs do, when writing to dvd, which... Although the disk is getting 'closed', the proprietary process is -not- finalizing.

Put the disk in the other samsung, and it gets hung up, because of that unfinalized process.

Put it in any other drive, and there is no problem, because they ignore the open process.

Try to find someone else with the same brand, model, etc, of the dvd drive, and try one of your disks in their drive.

~~~

To get the disk out, without rebooting, try going to the computer icon, open that. Locate the icon for the dvd drive. Now right click on the icon, and select "eject".
    Take it methodically and logically and ignore the replies from the pompous Linux geeks and Ubuntu poseurs who offer nothing but the "party line" and the "standard script". ~emarkay

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12