Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Setup Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO Setup Wine

Im not to sure about the windows installer problem, although winetools does say when you install the new windows installer, some older programs may no longer install, the iexplore.exe does work on all versions of wine, its the ie6 setup program that dosen't work on 9.6-9.9
    Gaz

Beans

excellent how-to. everything is working beautifully, thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by FredSambo
    excellent how-to. everything is working beautifully, thanks!
    The easiest way to install ie6 is to use ie4linux.
    It's a script that downloads everything that's needed and installs into .ie4linux (by default) instead of .wine
    Nothing is done in .wine at all so it can be ran without fear of breaking every other installed app and you'll have a clean .wine for other things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Rizado
    The easiest way to install ie6 is to use ie4linux.
    It's a script that downloads everything that's needed and installs into .ie4linux (by default) instead of .wine
    Nothing is done in .wine at all so it can be ran without fear of breaking every other installed app and you'll have a clean .wine for other things.
    I agree i use ies4linux aswell, but i like internet explorer 6 in my wine installation aswell, as many programs, rely on aspects of internet explorer to work, my girlfriend for one cannot manage without msn messenger, (gaims fine for me) msn messenger needs ie6 to work, thats why its handy to have it in wine too

good point well made if all you want is internet explorer though
    Gaz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi,
    I have fixed my problem with installing the "Windows Installer 2.0" by installing ActiveX control. I now have the problem that the program has installed a new version of ComCtl32.dll (5.80.2614.3600) but it is still detected as 5.80.0.0 by the program so it won't start. I guess some programs just won't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by reet
    Hi,
    I have fixed my problem with installing the "Windows Installer 2.0" by installing ActiveX control. I now have the problem that the program has installed a new version of ComCtl32.dll (5.80.2614.3600) but it is still detected as 5.80.0.0 by the program so it won't start. I guess some programs just won't work
    There are a lot of programs that don't work, wine is far from 100%, the best thing you can do, is look up your program on the winehq website, and see if anyone else has had success.
    Gaz

Beans

I thank you for this, I couldn't figure out all the commands either and this has helped alot.

edit: I'm going to try and get this working on a machine with no net connection, is there someway of getting the fonts and the windows components other then through the net?
    Last edited by halitech; March 29th, 2006 at 06:29 PM.
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by halitech
    I thank you for this, I couldn't figure out all the commands either and this has helped alot.

edit: I'm going to try and get this working on a machine with no net connection, is there someway of getting the fonts and the windows components other then through the net?
    i think you could, if you have setup wine on a machine that is online, then find the winetools folder that was created in your home directory and burn this to a cd, then take the cd to your offline machine, and paste the winetools folder into the home directory, winetools should not need to download the files like it usually does. although i haven't tried this and can say it will work for certain, you can give it a try. Let me know how it goes
    Gaz

Beans

ok, I'll give this a try and hopefully it will work. Will let you know.
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Fluxbuntu

What a great HOWTO!!! Thanks a lot for all the help, as I'm probably not the only one who has tried (and failed...) numerous times to install and use wine. THANKS!!!

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast